2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 AM

You know, I think one of the best things about this thread is that members are more conscious of their fabric-buying habits, and not just going around gorging themselves on stuff they don't need. It reminds me to be more intentional about my quilting and buying habits. At least I try to be more alert....
Old 03-01-2016, 10:10 AM

I agree that this thread helps me be more intentional about my fabric purchases. It's a nice feeling to try to use up what we have and sometimes we do need to purchase just that one piece of fabric that will make the project POP! I am happy to report that our credit card bill came in for the month of February and there were NO quilt store purchases on that bill! Yipee.....another month of the moratorium!

Tomorrow is Senior Day at JoAnn's Fabric.......I will go and purchase some notions that are on sale....but because of this thread, I am more mindful.....so I may just purchase .............nothing!

Thanks for keeping this effort going thru your posts.....it keeps me inspired!
Old 03-01-2016, 01:45 PM

omg 105 dollars and change. Well when I slip i really go all out. But that's it for the fabric stores this year. The money is all gone. 11 yards of batting, 1 1/2 yards of hot pepper fabric to finish a latin themed single quilt, 1 yard of it was just too pretty to pass up, a huge skein of crochet #10 thread to border some napkins, and thread to finish the wall hanging quilt. no more Joann coupons for me.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Tkhooper, when I read your account you are really ONLY on the hook for 1 yard of fabric you couldn't pass up. That's not bad. Everything else either falls under an acceptable category.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:18 PM

I didn't jump on the fabric moratorium as I am pretty disciplined about purchasing fabric only when needed with a project in mind but I am glad that those of you that have committed to this thread are still conscientiously working toward using up what stash you already have.

I have just started a leaders/enders project and have been diligently cutting up 2 1/2 inch squares. I also have been taking a class at my LQS on Jen Kingwell's Gypsy Wife quilt and have dedicated this project to using existing fabric. Meanwhile, Judy has started Mystery Train #12... I'll use my stash for that too. Keep up the good work ladies (and gents).
Old 03-02-2016, 05:27 AM

well yes and no. The batting I went a little crazy on. When i realized they don't allow double coupons I should have put 1/2 of it back. I have more batting than i have quilts on my to do list. And that is a lot of quilts lol.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:33 AM

[QUOTE=MadQuilter;7476231]I understand the urge to purchase the fabric. So if you really are jonesing for some yardage, you can make a game of it. Take some paper and cut it into sections. Then write on each a specific type of fabric you would love to add (example 1 yard of batik or 4 FQs with polka dots) The fold them up and put them in a jar. Shake and pick one. THAT is what you will be allowed to buy. It will satisfy the urge, control the amount, and keep the impulse

I think I have a little of that "crazy impulse buyer inside of me".....((guilty flush))
Old 03-06-2016, 12:05 PM

Yipee! Another weekend (which also means week) that I've resisted the temptation to purchase fabric. With this week's last show of Downton Abbey, it seems lots of quilt stores (local and on-line) are offering sales of Downton Abbey fabric..........oh the temptation.....I did look and touch and ooh and aahhhh over the fabrics...but I walked out of that store with paying..............$0! ! ! Even resisted the other 50% off sale fabric............

So.........thanks for this thread........it's helping me stay motivated to use what I have!
Old 03-06-2016, 02:35 PM

Excellent NoraB! I'm back on the wagon. I'm so broke.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 PM

I joined last year and appreciated the support. I only bought what I found I had run short of (changed the border plan mid-way) for a project I'm still playing with, and then of course, there was the super sale fabric that I couldn't let go by. Made a couple of table runners and did a mystery quilt using scraps. But I actually did not make a dent in my stash. I got some free fabric when a quilting friend moved away. Now for 2016, the "star" that I'm reaching for is - no new fabric comes in to the house, even if it's free. I've been deleting the fabric store emails as they come in without opening them. And I shop Joann's when I need a notion. So far, so good. I've got so much to use up.