2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Power Poster

I just spent a minor fortune on Pampered Chef gadgets that I will probably never use. That's what I get when fabric shopping is not allowed.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I just spent a minor fortune on Pampered Chef gadgets that I will probably never use. That's what I get when fabric shopping is not allowed.
OOH, I love pampered chef stuff, especially their flat cooking stones.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:09 AM

I've decided if I'm going to buy fabric from now on, it's gonna be the good stuff. No more fabric shopping at big box stores because I always get things on a whim or because it is on sale. And a lot of that cheap fabric was...cheap. It's still good enough to learn on/play with, but I won't buy any more of it. This will mean fewer yards purchased per year, but I need to be more selective with what projects I start anyway.

I think I'll give Connecting Threads a try for budget solids and backings, etc. Another thing - at least with online fabric shopping, you can be reasonably sure your fabric hasn't been dropped on the floor, stepped on, run over with a cart, drooled on, used to blow a nose, or smudged with makeup - lots of abuses big box fabric goes through.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I think you are making a smart choice, Pegasus. The more you spend on your fabric, the more you will think about really needing it. Best of luck...
Old 03-13-2016, 03:17 PM

ok, so this evening I fell off the wagon. I went to Quilt in a Day to get EQ7 for Mac (they have it way cheaper than anyone else) and I had to have a peep at the various skinny bolts. Oops--I now have coming in the mail EQ7 and about 10 yards of fabric at under $3 a yard. But, it was fabrics that I'm running short of--lights, darks and blacks, so that's really not a problem since we need those to contrast with all those medium values. Right???? And I will have EQ7 to help me design my way through this addition to my stash--- Now that I think about it, maybe "falling off the wagon" is a bit too harsh to describe what I just did LOL....

Rob
Old 03-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

This weekend I worked on a project I needed ( leaders & Enders ) for, had a stack of 3" squares so started with those, then as I needed more I went to a scrap tote & any piece large enough to get 3" squares from was cut up. I managed to ( so far) use another 3+yards of stash/ scrap fabrics so far! I'm working on a quilt that is sort of a column quilt with 42 pieces in each column, I'm using 43 ( leaders, Enders) for each column, can't chain piece this one. There are 20 columns ... That comes out to 1680 ( leaders/Enders) or, 3360 (3") squares! 156 (3") squares to a yard, holy- moly...that comes out to 21 1/2 yards of fabric! That should make a good dent by the time I'm done! Wow, should not have done the math, that's a little overwhelming.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 AM

I will not, I won't , just because its 40% off and I love the colors and I love the design I still will not go to there. I will not open that page and just look. I will not
Ahh - I feel better now
Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
I will not, I won't , just because its 40% off and I love the colors and I love the design I still will not go to there. I will not open that page and just look. I will not
Ahh - I feel better now
Wish I had read that before the latest catalog came in.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:29 PM

I never knew it could take 21 1/2 yards of material for a quilt top. Smaller the pieces the more yards I know . I got rid of lot of scraps cutting bocks for 16 patches. I was going to move and had to get rid/condence it . I use to make a lot doll clothes for cabbage patch dolls.
I am off again. Bought 4 yards of little clown material. $1 a yard at the thrift. Was on a bolt . met a couple at thrift that made quilts. They are makingaimal quilts and that is what Iam doing.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 AM

PaperPrincess, I love showing off what I do so there will be a photo. I've been taking photos along the way.

Hubby found out yesterday that his blood count numbers are high enough....some are actually in the normal range....that he can now get back into the world. He's been banned from getting out into crowds or even in the public at all since November because he had no immunity and the 2 different weeks of chemo he had lowered it even more. After the second week of chemo in February, his counts have been coming up steadily and the doctor said he's good to get out and about and he only sees good things for him.

He'll still be going back for the occasional blood test to make sure that his counts are still going up, so I'll hurry and finish this wall hanging so he can take it back with him. I hope they accept it.

Then I need to work on the tool belt I'm making for Mitchell's birthday gift. He turns 5 on April 5th and we're going to see him and this time, we don't have to worry about avoiding other people!