Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit down machines >

Sit down machines

Sit down machines

Old 02-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

I was able to negotiate a HQ Sweet 16 for around $5k and that included the truestitch regulator.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:13 PM

You can buy used machines at some fantastic prices and so many haven't been used much, just check around, Craigslist often has them in our area.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 PM

I have the Babylock Tiara, same as the Sweet Sixteen, made by same factory, US made. I love it, it only does free motion, which I very much enjoy, I put on an audio book & sew away, my happy place. My husband made the PVC pipe frame that some have mentioned, a big help.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
All of these machines sound wonderful, but the prices! The Juki TL2200QVP costs as much as a good, used car...almost $9k! I don't see one of those in my future anytime soon...I'm totally envious though.

~ Cindy
Hmmm .. not sure where you are seeing the prices for the Juki, but *generally* they are between $5500 and $6000. You might have been looking at the price of the same machine that includes the frame.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:43 AM

Thank you so much for posting the pictures! My Tiara table now has a front, based on what you built, that my husband put on for me. It does make quite a difference!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by karensue View Post
to nvrxgal, the (Bernina Q20) seems to be my choice, due to hubby.
Does anyone have any suggestions on doing ruler work?
karensue
Hey Karensue, check out Amy Johnson's youtube videos and blog at amysquiltingadventures.com
, she does a lot of ruler work. She also has a course on Craftsy on doing ruler work. She uses a domestic machine, but everything she shows is directly applicable to your new sit down machine.

Rob
Old 02-13-2016, 05:36 AM

I have had a Sweet 16 for a number of years. It is so old that they didn't have the stitch regulator available when I bought mine (I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway though; my Bernina stitch regulator for my 440 was gathering dust). I really love this machine. I can do traditional FMQ on it, and I am getting better and better at using rulers. I did find the sitdown rulers need some kind of gripper on the back. I used skateboard grip tape bought off Amazon. The manufacturers sell some too, but it is much more expensive. Hands-Quilter has videos about ruler work that are helpful. Don't get tied in to the videos that are specifically set up to advertise a specific brand of ruler; the bells and whistles aren't worth it (says the person who got stuck with a number of them!). I really like the look of ruler work.

I also recommend looking at Rhonda Bracey's blog (rhondabracey.com). She has well over 100 quilts posted that she has quilted on her Sweet 16.

Pam
Old 02-14-2016, 07:22 AM

I too have thought about a sit down but Brother has one that you can either sit down or stand up. Its really nice. I'm not close enough to buy it yet but that's the one I really like now and it doesn't take up a lot of space
Old 03-22-2016, 06:02 PM

I'd like to hear from anyone who has transitioned from quilting on a stand up long (or mid arm) set up, to using a sit down set up. I have a long arm on a stand up frame, but it really eats up the space in my sewing room. I'm just not sure about how I'd do "pushing" a big quilt around? Then there's the other issue......I'd have to return to basting my quilt together spray, pin or thread. Sheesh! What to do?
Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 PM

That Bailye 15" looks mighty inticing!