Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines >

Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines

Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines

Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Default Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines

Is it just my imagination or does it seem like the sit-down machines are a lot higher in comparison to the other stand alone sewing machines that can do more than FMQing.

I realize the big sell is the bigger throat space, but aside from that feature seems like buying a bigger throat space 'all-in-one' machine would be more economical.

Not sure if I'm explaining my thoughts clearly.

I've been drooling over the idea of buying a Sweet 16, lowest price I've found is $4995, without the stitch regulator. Pros - FMQ much easier, Cons: doesn't offer any other features.

Babylock Crescendo is $3500-$4000 abouts. Can FMQ and has lots of other features.

Am I looking at this from a clear perspective?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Machines that are long arms or sit down long arms are made for industrial type usage and are all metal and more expensive to fabricate . If you put 8 miliion stitches on a longarm, it will barely blink an eye. Whereas most domestic machines would at the least need servicing.

Why not check out the Bailey(http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/), they have a great reputation and service, plus they have free shipping to the lower 48 states. When I have the room and the money, that's what I'm getting.

I think you are.

I had been looking for an all-in-one but have recently switched to thinking about a mid-arm plus a good basic machine. It will cost more, you're right. On the other hand, my basic machine doesn't have to be something really expensive - what I have now is plenty fine - and the wear will be distributed between the two.

I guess it just depends on what you want, and how you really want to work. I like the idea of having a quilting-only machine so I never have to change the setup on my basic machine. But I have plenty of space (though not money) to make that practical.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 AM

I like the idea of a sit down machine, but I don't like to baste and the longarm machines on a frame would be preferable to me. This what I will get one day.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I once saw a quilt only sit down machine, George and would love to have one but, I don't have the space for the table it comes with.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I'm not really all that familiar with the sit-down machines, but I do have a longarm. It is not just a sewing machine with a longer throat on a frame! As Candace pointed out, longarms are MUCH heavier duty than DSM's, and they stitch at a much higher rate. The differences vary with different brands, but my Innova stitches at 3000 stitches per minute, while my Bernina only goes up to 1000. The stitch regulator on the Innova never gets out-paced, but if I move the fabric too fast my Bernina's stitch regulator literally screams (screeches might be a better term) and gives up. Longarms have larger bobbins, which means fewer bobbin changes. Yes, the throat is wider, but it's taller too. Comparing a DSM and a longarm is comparing apples and oranges.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

What is right for you, is not necessarily right for someone else.

While I see the merits in a LA, I know my back would not be too appreciative.
I came very close last spring to purchasing a S16 ... and did not.

Yes ... a DSM with larger throat and all the other features will let you do lots of FMQing, though it will not have the higher stance and clearance of an S16 or similar model.
Yes ... it would sit idle while doing any other stitching, and that was one reason I did not purchase it.

In hindsight, I could have stitched quite happily on my old machine for many years to come ... and purchased the S16 for about the same as I paid for the new.

I do really really like my new machine and have done lots of FMQing ... but yes, I still lust over a sit-down S16 or a similar one of another brand. Maybe someday?

Go out and test drive all the machines you are considering.
Compare the features/benefits of all ... and decide what is right for YOU!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM

I have a Brother Dream Weaver XE, FMQ, sewing, and embroidery. I use it for everything. I think Babylock is made by Brother. This machine is so amazing. I shortened a pair of jeans with just the regular foot. I can put the binding on the quilt with just the regular foot. It has a large throat, one of the largest there is. It has a special foot called the Muv It that can sew several layers together, I think about seven. This is truly a dream machine! It doesn't require any special tables. I have an old vanity that was my grandparent's and I bought two tables from Target to go on the side and in the back to lay the quilts on while I'm FMQing.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 AM

I love FMQ with my Sweet 16! But you won't know until you spend some serious time with one. Find a really good dealer close by, or go to a couple of shows prepared to paly for a couple of days.