Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble for hand quilting >

Thimble for hand quilting

Thimble for hand quilting

Old 03-26-2016, 02:54 AM

I also use the Clover leather thimble. I find it very comfortable .I did 13 bindings this past winter on quilts and it never let me down.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I appreciate all the information. The Thimble Lady's thimble is also an option. I do believe in the right tool for the job. I am surprised I didn't hear from others who don't use a thimble. Am I the only one? I guess that is all the more reason to find the right thimble.
I don't use a thimble, except for when I'm hand quilting. I can't feel where the needle is. Out of consideration for the pain involved, I tried a lot of thimbles. The one I greatly prefer is the one others have mentioned--it's a Clover leather one with the coin in the fingertip. I use it on my middle finger and the thumbnail of the right hand. (Thanks for the tip on the SuperGlue.) Have worn out several Clovers! It's just for the quilting but, when the binding happens, it's back to nothing at all. These thimbles are available at JoAnne's.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:08 AM

I went to a hand quilting class a couple of years ago and the instructor was selling leather thimbles for $80. I find that the "cheap" ones work just as well
Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 AM

I'm a clover girl too but I like the silicon ones with the metal head. I have small hands and the silicon seems to hold better. Even with the small size, after a while, they seem to stretch out. I use the Clove on my middle finger and a finger cot on my index finger, works for me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protect-Grip...F-gZLWZk5vBFTg
[ATTACH=CONFIG]546071[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	546071  
Old 03-26-2016, 04:52 AM

AZ Jane, I use the same thing. I have problems on my underhand. My fingers get so sore, I have to try lots of things before I am finished. I have used a leather thimble on my middle underhand, but then I find myself using another finger, so I can feel the needle. Anyone have suggestions for this?
Old 03-26-2016, 07:12 AM

I use the open end thimbles that tJ Lane makes. They are expensive yes, bit if you get a hole in one, she either fixes it, or replaces it. I only have 6 of her sterling silver open end thimbles. IMHO they are the best
Old 03-26-2016, 08:08 AM

I use the plastic Thimblelady thimble, the one worn down on the finger, and haven't felt the need to get the metal one yet. If you use Ms. Newman's method of quilting (she has a book that explains it), you don't need to prick your underneath finger.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:25 AM

I tried just about every thimble out there but always experienced hand pain after quilting for very long. Then I saw a class by Deidre McElroy being offered at a quilt show on hand quilting. Took the class and bought a thimble and have never looked back. It was the best investment of time and money I could have made, as I can hand quilt for hours now. I use a round hoop that I put short legs on(enough room to get my hand under) and a round plywood bottom which sits nicely on my lap. Everyone is different and has their own preferences but this works great for me. Note...had tried Snap floor frame, Larry Flynn's floor frame, no hoop, etc. but my lap hoop is all I use now.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:30 AM

There is also the Thimble Lady thimble (http://www.thimblelady.com/quilting-thimbles/). I bought one, but found that I can't handle doing a lot of hand work.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Thimbles for hand quilting

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I have been hand quilting for about fifteen years and have tried many thimbles, but have not found one that works for me. I quilt with my fingernails. I quilt on a frame and when I quilt away from myself, I use my thumbnail. A couple of times I have worn a hole in my fingernail. (Super glue is an acceptable fix.) I have been tempted numerous times to buy "the expensive" thimble, but have been concerned it would end up on the shelf with the other thimbles that don't work for me and I will have spent money I would rather have for something else. Shared thimble experiences would be appreciated. Should I spend the big money?
I have been using the Roxanne thimble for a very long time. Bought it from Roxanne herself at the Houston quilt show. Paid $35 for the first one and gold colored one, one size smaller cost $40 about five years later...my fingers change sizes from winter to summer. I will not use anything else...they are wonderful when sized properly. I also use Roxanne needles. Used to use # 12's and now use # 10's so i can see to thread them. They, too, are great.
Well worth the money...but they do take time to get use to as they are a bit heavier than the less expensive ones.