Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble for hand quilting >

Thimble for hand quilting

Thimble for hand quilting

Old 03-24-2016, 04:35 PM

Default Thimble for hand quilting

I have been hand quilting for about fifteen years and have tried many thimbles, but have not found one that works for me. I quilt with my fingernails. I quilt on a frame and when I quilt away from myself, I use my thumbnail. A couple of times I have worn a hole in my fingernail. (Super glue is an acceptable fix.) I have been tempted numerous times to buy "the expensive" thimble, but have been concerned it would end up on the shelf with the other thimbles that don't work for me and I will have spent money I would rather have for something else. Shared thimble experiences would be appreciated. Should I spend the big money?
Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 PM

What is the 'expensive thimble'?

thanks

Caroline
Old 03-24-2016, 05:19 PM

I use the rubbery thimbles all the time. Here are some at Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&ul_noapp=true
Old 03-24-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
What is the 'expensive thimble'?

thanks

Caroline
I was thinking of the Roxanne. There is the cost of the ring sizer as well as the thimble, otherwise it is hard to guess the right size.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 PM

I am currently hand-quilting a lap-size log cabin quilt with an all-over Baptist fan design. I tried every kind of thimble but couldn't work with one on any finger. Most of my quilts I machine quilt an all-over design on my Bernina 820 (the newer model). But every so often a quilt calls out to be hand quilted. Here's how I do it. I purchase a pack of "Thimble-It" - 64 self-stick plastic ovals - and I put one on my left index finger, which is my "under finger." Then I do one stitch at a time and bring up the needle with the fingernail on either the right index finger or the one next to it. I too have worn a hole in my fingernail! One plastic oval will stay put for about a week's worth of quilting. As soon as the needle hits the oval, I bring up the stitch with the fingernail. It takes longer to quilt this way but I'm not in a race.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

There is a "Roxette" version of the Roxanne thimble that is much less expensive. Perhaps you could purchase one of these to make sure it will work for you before going for the more expensive version. Check out the reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...fq9un797_e_p11

You might also want to check out the Thimble Lady's thimble selection:
http://www.thimblelady.com/faq/
Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 PM

I really like the Comfort Thimble out of Eugene Oregon. It is sold through many online vendors though I bought mine in person on a recommendation at quilt shop in Omaha. The dimples on the top surface grip the needle well. And it truly is comfortable. I have two sizes to accomodate different amounts of swelling from weather (humidy). I even have spare ones so I don't have to worry about being without one. Also, I use the rocking motion and have never had to replace a needle from breakage although I am a newer quilter. If you hand piece I like a leather thimble, I bought one on etsy.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:37 PM

I had a hard time finding a thimble that works for me. I found leather ones are the best, not so hard or uncomfortable.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:03 PM

Another vote for leather thimbles. I tried the black ones for a while, but the seam sits right on the side of my finger, which happens to be what I use to push the needle through. So I'd end up pushing the head of the needle through the seam and stabbing myself.

The thimble I use now, and have used for several years, is the Clover Natural Fit leather thimble. It's the most comfortable, comes in 3 sizes, and is available at several stores in my area.

Clover thimble
Old 03-24-2016, 10:44 PM

I use the little rubber sticky thimbles. I can position exactly where the needle touches and makes holes. I've tried other thimbles leather, metal and plastic I find I just can't feel the stitch.