Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
has anyone made a Large sewing table? >

has anyone made a Large sewing table?

has anyone made a Large sewing table?

Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 PM

I have used an old dining room buffet. It has wonderful large storage drawers and lots of room for my cutting mat. I use a tall bar stool (chair actually) as it's higher, but I love that height when working on cutting, sorting blocks, etc. It works perfect for me.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:24 PM

divide top in half, fasten with fasteners( so can be moved), sand inside edges so won't snag fabric. Support with bookcases on each end( width of table). and one under table seam. That one holds seldom used items. You will have your large surface and storage room underneath. May need to build bookcases to fit because of size.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:40 AM

I find even a 48x90 sheet of plywood doubled is not enough room at times for sewing/quilting/etc. My DH built me one with one of my machines set in, also put counters table height for sewing / painting/etc. also shelves and acouple of cupboards in MOM's Room. Then again I said I needed a show wall and a cutting space. So he gave me another room where I have storage cupboards and shelves for my fabric, batting and etc. And a cutting space on normal cabnets height, sew I can stand while cutting and etc due to back problems...also we keep working on just the right quilting frame... But I think I need to down size...
Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM

I've used the tables from the office supply store for years. I have several that were purchased used for a song. I just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up the shelves they have for closet organizing to use underneath.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:38 PM

This is the table I hope to have when I move.
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/sewi...mFF7Q_6Nzd3PFw
Old 02-25-2016, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I have my table sitting on on some Closet Maid wire drawers. Storage is so important so don't waste any space that is available to you. You might go check out resale store for bookcases.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:49 AM

Seeing as I´m sewing at an old table that is too short, sitting on a stool that is too high, I´m about green with envy at you all!
Some beautiful sewing areas here. Great idea to check the re stores. I´m doing that tomorrow!

Watson
Old 03-22-2016, 06:39 PM

I made mine from plywood. Sanded it down then put trim on the edges and sanded some more. Finished it with stain, then 3 coats of semi-gloss poly. Made the legs from 2x4's. Put a shelf underneath to keep my boards I use for putting quilts together, also bought one of those plastic drawer things, fits perfect underneath. I love it.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:41 PM

My husband put a dropped base in the space where a 'leaf' would be in a regular dining table. I really like it. Plus on the other 'side' I can put plexiglass over gap and lamp under for a large 'light table'.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:48 PM

I use an XL industrial door (came out of a hospital and is very heavy) on top of 2 filing cabinets. The door was originally an oak color... and I stained it a dark mahogany. The filing cabinets have a small drawer at the top with a slide out tray and a larger drawer at the bottom. I absolutely LOVE it and have used it for over 20 years. It allows me plenty of room to sew, cut fabric, fold fabric, paint, etc. lol Mine, however, does not have a place cut out for a sewing machine.... as I have several machines that I use.