Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Hand Piecing organization/storage help? >

Hand Piecing organization/storage help?

Hand Piecing organization/storage help?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 PM

Question Hand Piecing organization/storage help?

Hi all!
I'm not new to quilting/crafting/handwork, but I'm recently new to hand piecing (yep, it's actually fun!)
Anyway, right now, I have my little project in a small sewing box/basket (Joann, $15 (with 50% off)).
(Pictured below, but sorta like this one: http://www.joann.com/dritz-sew-baske...7.html#start=1)

And for now, it sorta works. I have my pins in the little pincushion and in the upper tray, I have my scissors, thimble, and thread. My first step in the project was actually able to fit in the tray, but now that it's getting bigger, it has to go in the bottom. This is fine, but I was looking for something with more division.
As in 2-3 definite layers: Tools, Works in progress, Waiting for next step.

I like this box- it's cute, small, and fits inside my coffee table.
I like this project so much, I know I will be making something bigger, so I'm trying to prepare for that....

***So my actual question is this: If you hand piece, how do you store your current work in progress?

**Also, if you have a sewing basket, have you ever modified it? Like, made your own inside tray? Or dividers in the bottom?

Any pictures would be wonderful!

Thanks for all the help!
Danielle
Attached Thumbnails sewing-basket-.jpg  
Old 08-14-2017, 03:38 AM

I found one like yours at a thrift store without the tray. I use a metal tin for my needles, scissors, thread and pins for my apple core blocks. I have several plastic templates to use in cutting this pattern in the bottom of my basket with small pieces of fabric. And on top are the cut templates, it's a chore to cut these out so I cut some, mark them, sew some. Right now I have two rows sewed and I'm able to fold them and put them in the basket. As the top gets larger, I will fold it and put it in a bag nearby. With hand sewing, there isn't much you need, as far as I know. I layer my various items with the tin on top and the uncut fabric and templates on the bottom. The cut out fabric is in the middle.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:07 AM

Yes, exactly!
What is the metal tin? Like a muffin tin?
I once tried looking at an apple core, but the design is just too curvy for me...
Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM

I buy the hard eye glass cases at yard sales for next to nothing. I use them to keep my "necessaries" in...like little scissors, thread, needles, pins, tape etc. I've even glue gunned a small pin cushion in 1 of the cases. I also use them for my crochet needles, darning needle and small scissors. They sure come in handy!
Old 08-15-2017, 05:56 AM

I like snap ware bins for my English Paper Piecing. I have several sizes, but the small, sandwich size bins work great for my travel kit. When I'm vacationing, I'll snap on another bin or two to the bottom with more supplies. Once I start connecting units, the connected pieces stay home and I only work on making more units when I'm away from home. At home, I use a larger bin to hold my growing quilt. (our dual reclining love seat has a cubby and drawer in the middle armrest unit, so I've taken that space over as well. Everything is within reach.)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing
Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

I don't do much hand piecing but I do a lot of counted cross-stitch. I have a tote with various compartments and it keeps all my things together.
Now you have me wanting to hand piece something I love hand work.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 PM

I buy the notebook sleeves with zipper and clear plastic on one side and canvas- type material on the other side. They have holes on the side so they can fit in a notebook, if you so desire. I get these at Walmart for $4-5 this month (school supplies). They hold all my supplies for hand quilting. Can't help you with storing your project. I just drape my quilt over a chair.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 PM

I have a yazzie bag out of Australia. I love mine for carrying and sorting my hand embroidery and quilting projects. It took a while to ship oversees, but it is really nice and is holding up well. https://www.yazzii.com/
Old 08-16-2017, 05:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies!
@ Kris P: I have a small snapware bin. I do love it and it was wonderful for my EPP as well. I did look at the medium size at Joann's. I guess I'm just looking for an all-in-one that is attached at the top. If I could figure out a way to hinge the lid to the top instead of snapping off, I'd be set...lol Otherwise, I have to put it on the side. Plus the lid of my basket has a pocket and pin cushion, which is handy to have open next to me while I work. (oh, I have a curious cat, so I'd like the lid to be attached and easy to close to deter her...

@ Jane Quilter: I have seen these and they are AWESOME. One of our guild members taught the hand piecing class and uses this. ALL THE POCKETS!!! While the OCD in me loved it, I think I'll stick to the basket/box. It's more solid standing. Does that make sense?

I think I'm doomed to my conceptions and making it work for now. When I stop obsessing over it, then I'll find my solution...HAHAHA
I might repost this question on the main page, just to get more traffic, but thank you all so much!! This was actually my first post. :0)
Danielle