Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Needed for thread storage/organization >

Help Needed for thread storage/organization

Help Needed for thread storage/organization

Old 10-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Default Help Needed for thread storage/organization

I have just purchased a new embroidery machine, and 116 spools of embroidery thread. Any suggestions as to how to organize/store this thread? It has to be in boxes, (no wall room or thread stand room). Since it's by one manufacturer, do I store it by number or color? When I start to pull the threads for embroidery, is it easier to find them by color number or all the 'blues', greens, etc. together. After the threads are pulled for one project, do you 'line them up' or put them in another box? Any and all help and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. If you have any embroidery tips, I can also use those. I'm a real embroidery newbie.
Thanks, everyone. Appreciate all help.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:22 PM

Mine is stored in the plastic bins made for thread by numbers. When you are looking at the pattern they list by numbers.
I think the bins were about $5 at Walmart. But its been a good while since I bought them.
Have fun.

Ps: I line them up by the number they are calling for the sewing order. So it may be, 63, 4, 142, 86, etc.

Last edited by Tiggersmom; 10-02-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I have a set of 256 spools, stored in boxes by color. the boxes I have are deep enough to have a 1/4" piece of plywood with dowels glued on (I made this wood insert) I wrote the color number on the dowel to make it easier to put away. I also numbered the rows of dowels, and wrote the row number on the spool. I then made an excel spreadsheet with the color number and row number so I could find the color easier. I also got the multi spool holder for my sewing machine so as I pull the spools, I just put them on the thread holder.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I would shop for a small drawer organizer with drawers that the thread will fit. I would sort by color and mark that on the outside of each drawer.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM

Thanks so much. Heading to Wal-Mart and JoAnn's tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:41 PM

I store my thread by color, but I also have an inventory list I created in Excel with all the numbers, names, brand, weight, amount on original spool, percent remaining & price. I have that for insurance purposes, but it's also helpful when I need to see if I own a particular number/weight quickly. Of course, having a list would mean you could just as easily organize it by number & search for color names in your spreadsheet.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 AM

I also sort by color. I have a list I created and even put on my phone so I can check if I have a color or not.

I use storage boxes. I have cats and since we have forced hot air, dust bunnies galore. You would have to vacuum 5 times a day to keep up since a lot occur where only the cats can get to. I also have boxes stashed out of the light. Some thread does fade.

Most phone reader apps can handle a pdf.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:38 AM

My husband made me a wall rack that will hold about 177 spools. I organize mine by the thread color chart I got from my dealer. I have a pocket chart (same as larger chart from dealer) that I mark each color I have, so when I need to buy thread I know what colors I already have. If I need to add a color I just move the rest of the spools to the right one space on the rack. This way they are lined up by the color lots, i.e., yellows, blues, greens, teals, reds, etc. When I pull colors for a project I open my chart, find the number, as too many are close in color to remember all those numbers. Some are off colors that the company stuck in some place. When doing a project I line the spools up in a row according to the project sheet, sewing order.

When testing a design if you do it on a piece of fabric big enough to turn into a block or whatever later it's less waste of materials.

Many now no longer hoop the fabric. Hoop the stabilizer, place the fabric on top and use the stitch baste your machine has and/or sticky stabilizer, and or 505 spray. It's sort of learn as you go, as each machine is different. Take notes so you remember what works best for your machine. If you have a embrodery computer program you can print out the design & put your notes on that. I then put mine in plastic sleeves & a 3 ring binder.

Good luck & enjoy your new machine .
Old 10-03-2015, 07:53 AM

I have very little floor or drawer space so I went to the walls using pegboards. I use only one brand of embroidery thread too so got their thread chart and organized them to follow the chart. I even went to the trouble to label each hook so when I go to put the spools back I know where they belong. Obviously I have too much time on my hands. Just added another large pegboard for my quilting thread but since I don't have a thread chart to follow I just organized them in color families from dark to light. Have 2 brands of quilting thread so I keep them separate. Plus I purchased metallic embroidery thread for quilting only so have placed them at the bottom of the board.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:39 AM

Default Thread Storage

I store my embroidery threads in plastic containers and they are filed in numerical order. Since I have mainly two brands and the colour cards to each, I use the colour card as a tool for selecting my threads. I have them wrapped with thread cling wrap to prevent unravelling. When I am finished embroidering a project, I file the thread back in their box. I have used this system for many years and I have found that it works well. I have a label on the end of the container and also on the lid recording the thread numbers that are contained within the box. One of my brands are 5000 metre spools and the are contained in a box approx. 11 ins x 16 ins. My 1000metre spools are contained in double sided thread boxes. Pictures included.
Attached Thumbnails 1000-metre.jpg   5000-metre.jpg