Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother CS6000i opinion? >

Brother CS6000i opinion?

Brother CS6000i opinion?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 AM

I purchased this machine to take to retreats. I like it so much that I rarely sew on my Singer or Janomi. I make quilt as you go potholders with 2 layers of batting. One cotton and one for heat with 2 layers of fabric. I sew on all my bindings for large quilts and have never had a reason to use the walking foot. If this one dies I will get another.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
I have this machine and I love it. I bought it from Amazon about 5 years ago when I thought I would like the try quilting and it has never failed me. I do use those plastic foldout tables and it moves around a lot. I really would love to have a table that I could set it into, but just haven't decided on one yet. Maybe someone who has this machine could offer suggestions?
Get some of the rubberized shelf lining material or a cheap yoga mat, cut to fit under the machine with a couple of extra inches all around. works great, machine can't move & makes it even quieter. I use that all the time, I go to many sewing events where I have to have my sewing machine on a plastic table
Old 03-30-2016, 06:33 AM

I had one of these, and it was a pretty good machine while it lasted.

It has a very small harp, so difficult to use for quilting. I managed to quilt a twin size on it, but anything larger would be really difficult.

It's extremely lightweight, which is good and bad. It scooted away from me when I was sewing, so I had to put a mat underneath it. Lightweight means very portable, but it also means a lot of plastic innards, which isn't great for longevity.

I gave the machine to my niece and nephew to learn how to sew with, after I'd had it about a year and realized I needed a better machine. They used it for about another year, but now it is having computer problems. You can turn it on and sew a seam, but as soon as you stop sewing the first time it gives an error. You can turn it off and back on to clear the error and sew another seam, but as soon as you stop again, you get the error back. MECHANICALLY the machine is still fine - it sews great for that first seam, but that computer problem makes it nearly useless. It's such a cheap machine, it's not really worth repairing. I'm probably going to buy them a simple vintage machine to replace it.

So I'd say it's an acceptable backup machine for piecing or for a beginner, but not great as a primary machine for a quilter, and I wouldn't really expect it to last more than 5 or 6 years tops - less if you get a buggy computer like mine apparently has.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 AM

I had the Brother SQ9050 for 3 years and made almost 40 quilts. The tension finally crapped out so I donated it to GW. Bought another Brother cs6000i for $99 and it's a nice little machine for piecing. I wouldn't pay more than $100 since it's not worth repairing if it breaks. Not a lot of space to FMQ anything bigger than a twin. It's my back up to my new Juki 2200 plus it's great to teach my granddaughters how to quilt.

I say get it....you're only out $100. I think you can find it cheaper than $149.

Last edited by Stitch124; 03-30-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:56 AM

I love my Brother. I've had it for years. I bought my sister one, too. It is now our back- up machine. It is easy to operate, change bobbins and comes with more features than other machines at that price.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:38 AM

If you want one now Hancock's going out of business sale includes the machines and they carry this machine. The price should be cut a lot.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
If you want one now Hancock's going out of business sale includes the machines and they carry this machine. The price should be cut a lot.
I think the stores that have just been closed are offering a 20 percent off list price. All sales are final, since it is a liquidation. Hancocks had great sales on the heavier weight material I buy for slipcovers. The liquidator will have to discount close to 80 percent before they can come close to the sale prices Hancock offered. A shame to see all the employees losing their jobs.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:36 PM

Well they maybe noisy, but they are great little machines. Both my daughter have these I mainly use mine for classes, she uses her for everything and she sews a great deal. We have had ours at least 8 years now
Old 04-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Thanks to all who offered their opinions in my search for a back up machine. I finally made a purchase and decided to get a Janome DC2014 from my local Sew and Vac dealer in Napa. I appreciated all the comments and approvals of the Brother machine and while I saw a lot of positives, I know Janome machines and have always liked them. It did try out the Janome 4120QDC and decided I didn't need all the features. I am happy with my Janome DC2014. It's quiet and feels almost like my old Elna. It's comfortable and just the right size to take to class. I was even able to pick up a Tutto carrier in Purple at my local Goodwill for only $20! An incredible find for sure. So again, thanks. I can always count on getting a lot of feedback here. Sew On!