Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother CS6000i opinion? >

Brother CS6000i opinion?

Brother CS6000i opinion?

Old 03-26-2016, 06:59 AM

Default Brother CS6000i opinion?

I need your feedback please. My main sewing machine is in the shop fixing a small hiccup. My back-up is an Elna Quilter's Dream. I purchased it used and loved the smooth sewing and quietness of it. But it has reached the end of it's life as I've put way too much money into trying to get rid of a squeak. So I'm looking for an inexpensive new back-up. I found the Brother CS6000i on Amazon prime for only $145, original price $449. I'm tempted to get it.
To those of you who might have this machine, can you tell me how you like it. Is it quiet? Any problems? Please help me make a decision. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I am not impressed with the cheaper brother machines. They make a lot of noise too.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 AM

My DD has had one for years. nice little machine. We made a garment bag with it a couple years ago using home dec fabric and it sewed right along thru the many layers without complaint. It is lightweight, so it will not act like a heavy TOL but it is a nice machine for the money
Old 03-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Regardless of the naysayers (some of which have never sewn on this or other Brother machines - apologies to those of you who have and don't like them) these are very popular machines. Look at the ratings on Amazon and do a search on it here on quilting board. I have three basic mechanical Brother machines. They are easy to use, sew through almost anything and are not fussy with thread. I do my best FMQ on an XR-52 that came from Costco about 15 years ago. Never needed service.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I would buy this machine if I needed a backup. Probably wouldn't like it as my main machine.

I found this price history on the machine:
https://dealsea.com/pricetracker/B000JQM1DE

If you have a Walmart nearby, they are offering it at $145 too. If you don't like the machine you can take it back to Walmart. With Amazon you would need to pay return shipping to return it unless the machine you get is defective (in which case Amazon pays the return shipping).

Edit: One thing about Amazon is that you can put it in your shopping cart and then check the cart on a daily basis to see if the price drops. Someone on Amazon Prime posted that Amazon will email you if the price drops. This doesn't work for my if I put the item in "save for later". Most of my cart items aren't in there long enough to get a price drop, so I've never gotten an email from them about a price drop.

Edit 2: Here is a link to the machine on Walmart. Note they have free shipping.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-Co...ingMethod=p13n

Last edited by Prism99; 03-26-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:01 PM

i love it, it is lightweight - great for bringing to retreats, and it sews nicely. i got mine at target. my other machine is a pfaff, too heavy to lug everywhere.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:11 PM

I've also had my eye on this machine as a back-up for a couple of years due to all its features and GREAT reviews on Amazon. Don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that the machines sold at Wal-Mart are seconds or their quality is compromised..............(?)
Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
I've also had my eye on this machine as a back-up for a couple of years due to all its features and GREAT reviews on Amazon. Don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that the machines sold at Wal-Mart are seconds or their quality is compromised..............(?)
someone on this board called the brother company I think it was. They refuted this notion. Up to you to believe it or not. There are so many of them sold and for the most part get very good reviews. I don't have this particular low end brother but have three different ones. They are all very good.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
this was probably started by someone who dislikes Walmart so will say anything to besmirch the company. I really don't think Brother or any company for that matter, would do that........I do know wawak sells machines at really good prices occasionally, but must state that they are refurbished by mfgr.......
Old 03-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Geri - what is your source for this information? I bought a refurbished serger from AllBrands and it was in a plain box clearly marked refurbished.