Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A call to all quilters! >

A call to all quilters!

A call to all quilters!

Old 05-09-2016, 05:50 AM

Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city?
Suburb of St. Louis, MO

What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status?
62-yr-old married female.

How long have you been quilting?
Began quilting in 2011.

How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join?
I first posted on the Quilting Board in May 2013, because I needed advice on a border. I think I’d been reading the board for some time before that. I discovered the board after searching on-line for info on the hand quilting stitch.

What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large?
I used to have a local quilt shop close by, and would stop there about once a month. Sadly, they closed last Christmas. I now do all my shopping on-line.

Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you?
Yes, but physical limitations keep me from getting involved.

What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum?
Lets me feel connected with other quilters.

Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how?
I learn about patterns, and see other people’s quilts, which gives me ideas I would never have on my own.

Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy?
I only belong to one other on-line quilt group. I haven’t figured out how pinterest or the blogosphere works, but that’s probably just as well, as more time spent at the computer means less time quilting.

How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week?
It’s probably about 3 hours per day.

What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources?
I don’t have experience with this, but also don’t have an urge to design my own patterns.

Best of luck on your research paper. Great topic!
Old 05-09-2016, 06:04 AM

Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city?

I live in a mega city (Los Angeles area)

What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status?
I am 58, female, I am a special needs educator , and I am married

How long have you been quilting?
11 years
How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join?
About 7 years to find new ideas and share successes and failures.

What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large?

I belong to a guild and have a quilting blog.

Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you?
Yes I have taken 2 classes and also my BBF is a quilter.

What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum?

I have personally meet in personal someone from New Zealand and the members here have helped me in many ways.

Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how?

Yes, I try and up my game all the time by trying new techniques.

Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy?

Very savvy, I have a blog and facebook, instagram etc.

How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week?

50+ hours

What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources?
Good and getting better all the time.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

As an artistic, non-conformist rebel I would have to say I'd rather enjoy my quilting than analyze it to death. This sucks the enjoyment right out of it, for me. This is why I am quilting rather than taking college courses.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 AM

[/FONT][/SIZE]
  • Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city? North Central Washington, 15 min. south of Canadian border, close to a very small town.
  • [SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua]What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status? 66, female, Retired, married
  • [SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua]How long have you been quilting? Grandmother and mother began teaching me before I started school have been at it all my life
  • [SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua]How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join? discovered them about 10 years ago. Joined for the knowledge I gained.
  • [SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua]What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large? I belong to a guild, take quilting classes, an attend quilting retreats.
  • [SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua]Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you? Yes, well what do you consider near, I travel 100 miles one way to get to the closes guild, my closes retreat area in 85 miles I live in an area where you can say "you can"t get there from hear" and it is the truth.
  • [SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua]What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum? Less travel, getting new ideas, connecting with more people who enjoy the same things I do.
  • Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how?Yes, have more exposure to new ideas, and technics.
  • Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy? NO I can do a search and find what I want . But no more than that.
  • How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week? Maybe 20 hrs.
  • [SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua]What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources? I like them for the information. If I am working on a quilt I want a hard copy of the pattern so I can easily pick it up to check something, and not have to wait for my computer to wake up and find it again.
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 AM

• Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city? Virginia suburb (outside of Washington DC)
  • What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status? 50 / female /stay at home Mom / Married
  • How long have you been quilting? 5 years
  • How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join? Communities - about 3 yrs, Resources 5 yrs
  • What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large? none
  • Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you? I have access, but don't utilize them
  • What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum? Lots of encouragement from more experienced quilters
  • Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how? Yes, since joining online groups, I have been attempting more difficult patterns.
  • Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? Yes, mostly on Facebook
  • To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy? Somewhat technically savvy
  • How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week? about 10 -15 hours
  • What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources? I haven't used any
Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Bernina94

I just looked at your profile - we know NOTHING about you - how about you telling us something more about yourself first??????
Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Come on Bernina 94, thats a lot of questions. If you want answers, you have to answer some of our questions so we can understand your "thesis" and direction, Help us help you. Ill be watching for you, then I will gladly contribute.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:01 AM

I have seen similar posts on a cross stitch board. This is nothing more than a Phishing post. Please do not reply to it!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:06 AM

Sooo many questions
  • Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city? Big City, Pacific Northwest
  • What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status? Retires, female, married
  • How long have you been quilting? Started in the early 1970's stopped for a few years and started again in 2000
  • How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join? Depends on the site -- I think I joined the first group in 2005 -- I wanted to exchange ideas with folks.
  • What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large? I was a guild member for a while and DD quilts.
  • Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you? I took a couple of lessons in the early 2000, but mainly I bought a bunch of used books and learned techniques.
  • What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum? Help and inspiration.
  • Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how? Definitely -- learn about new patterns and techniques
  • Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy? I am VERY technological -- the only "social media" site I belong to is Pinterest and may go there once a month.
  • How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week? 3 - 30+ hours (depends on what is happening in my life)
  • What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources? Don't know which patterns are computer generated. I use EQ7 to design patterns, but I also use old fashioned graph paper and colored pencils.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by KellyPete View Post
I have seen similar posts on a cross stitch board. This is nothing more than a Phishing post. Please do not reply to it!!!
What's the harm in replying?