using scraps for dog beds

Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Contact the kennel you are going to donate to......they will tell you just what they need......I've been told that batting is preferred.....

Last edited by wendiq; 05-09-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I made 20 dog beds , 47 dog coats and 25 cage blankets for out local SPCA at Christmas time last year. The 23 inches of rain we had in October did a lot of damage to he buildings and grounds. It took almost 2 months to redo what that storm ravaged. I made the beds 30"x36" so they could use them on the cement floors of the big kennels. The cage blankets I made 30"x30" and three sizes of dog coats. I bought remnants of fleece to make these and stuffed the beds with scraps from my own collection as well as the scraps other people gave me. It was a good filler, light weight and will wash like a dream. The animal shelters will be greatfull for your contribution.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Our church sewing group made and donated about a dozen pet beds last year. All sizes, larger to smaller. We also covered old bed pillows with cheap fleece blankets for the animal shelter. I made a bed for GS's dog from scraps I had at home. Dog loved it and GS was impressed with it. He always put it up when he left the house - except one day he forgot - and came home to a giant mess !! He doesn't want another one ! I've since learned the charity that accepts gently used furniture for needy people here in town gladly takes bed pillows, even if slightly stained. I include a homemade pillowcase.
My guild is making pillows for the homeless with the scraps. Such a need and a worthy cause!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:46 AM

Oh! Lesson I learned in using cut small pieces for beds is: they don't do well when washed. If you don't use tight seams they will come open & then you have a wonderful little mess left in your washer.... & takes a long time for all to dry...
Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM

We have a group at our guild that uses old (no holes) pillowcases. A lot of us contribute our scraps of fabrics and batting trims to fill these cases. They made 63 beds this year from all the donated scraps

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Our local shelter was sorry to tell me they can't accept dog bedding of any kind at the moment because they don't have a washer and dryer on site big enough to handle it. So glad I asked first!

Thankfully they told me they are building a new facility that WILL have big washers and dryers.