Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Measuring a quilt after longarming >

Measuring a quilt after longarming

Measuring a quilt after longarming

Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jjs56 View Post
Warped poles could certainly be your problem and I'm surprised you don't have puckers on the back or even the top. The poles would have to be pretty weak to be warped by a quilt loaded too tightly. I have an Avante and I couldn't bend the bars if I tried. Sounds like you're going to have to play hardball with the manufacturer. First, keep records of your phone calls and all the info you've given here. Call and demand to speak to the owner or the most senior person available. Demand the rails be replaced with no shipping charges or you're going to start naming the company on this site, with thousands of members, and every other quilting forum you can find. Hopefully, you paid for this with a credit card. Tell the company you will be placing the charge in dispute with the credit card company, and then do so. Tell them you will also be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in their area and do that as well. I really hate lousy customer service like this. Did you say anything to the person making the delivery? Good luck.
What she said.

That they found a different way to deliver poles tells me they know they are responsible for the warping. For what these machines cost, I'd fight them all the way.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Having them bend due to putting the quilt on makes no sense - unless you leave it without turning it for a long time - with a visible bend in them. The poles on my Gracie frame were not that stout, and the Bailey liked the sandwich rather tight. I had the frame set up King size, and when I did a smaller quilt then they would pull in a bit, but with each advance, they were turning and the bend was in a different direction. I had DH make me a spacer to put between them so they would keep parallel. Once the quilt was off - they looked fine. It never did anything permanent to them. Larger quilts where the ends where near the ends of the frame did not have this problem.

I have measured my quilt, and never noticed anything like you are describing. Sure it will not measure the same as before putting it on the frame, but not having it pull up more in the middle than the sides. And that was with both the Gracie frame and the HQ frame (both set up 12' long).

I'm so sorry you are going through this - one would think that the company would send new poles.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
II am wondering if the tubes weren't defective to begin with. .

Sounds like it. And could be why they are so defensive about it.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 AM

Things like this make me so angry.....for you. I think they hoping to wait you out and wear you down...and from all you say you've done already, I think they are nearly there. Therefore, I think it's time to get your attorney involved. Of course, the minute you do, the manufacturer and/or dealer will probably stop talking to you.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
the manufacturer and/or dealer will probably stop talking to you.
Oh, I don't have to worry about the dealer talking to me... After the last time she came up, she messed with my tension on my machine... WHICH was not broke and changed it from using any kind of thread top or bottom to me only being able to use SO FINE in top and bottom. When I told her it was a problem and she said " oh its not a problem, you just need to buy new thread" I have about 130 spools of glide thread and at the time 3 spools of so fine... After that, I told the Manufacturer that I did not want her or her husband in my shop because every time the come and mess with my machine they set me back for months!

They are probably trying to wear me down... I will contact them again and see what they say.... (wink)

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:39 PM

do keep us posted on the resolution of this problem. After seeing your thread and just putting Red Snappers on today, I was really conscientious of my quilt straightness. I do agree with the post that the ends where the quilt did not reach, the Red snappers seemed to not stay staight--but that happened when I was pinning too cause no quilt to attach the leader to.
I usually float the top and do know that the center of the quilt wants to "shrink" if I'm not careful to always straighten as I role the quilt. Guess that's what's happening to yours with the bent poles.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:33 AM

i think quilting a quilt top sandwich size will change, probably smaller.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
do keep us posted on the resolution of this problem. After seeing your thread and just putting Red Snappers on today, I was really conscientious of my quilt straightness. I do agree with the post that the ends where the quilt did not reach, the Red snappers seemed to not stay staight--but that happened when I was pinning too cause no quilt to attach the leader to.
On page two, I have a black quilt posted. The quilt went almost to the ends. You can see the red snappers go up.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:21 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553325[/ATTACH]Follow up::: I contacted the owner of the company again, and told him that they needed to ship the new poles to the dealer with her next order, and the dealer can drive the 6 hours to me and deliver them! Then the owner came back with " we are supplying the machines at the Reno show, can you meet us there with your poles and exchange for new poles?" So we agreed. It was still a 6 hour drive one way, two tanks of gas, one hotel and one custom made 12ft long box to put the poles in . I just pulled my first quilt off the machine . It is a twin size and I did a free motion Loopy Clam flower design on it ( not tight). I am happy to say I was only off about 1/4 of an inch on one vertical side. I was extra careful not to pull tight on the bars, I never had a slack side. I ddi not have to constantly play with the dead bar to get the looseness taken out of the sandwich. I used my centering tape all the way down the quilt... So the sides were way even!@@ I am a happy camper !!! Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553326[/ATTACH]It is still a little off from my straight line to the red snappers. I guess it will have to do!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	purplestarquilt.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	553325   Click image for larger version

Name:	purpleStar3.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	616.0 KB
ID:	553326  

Last edited by IJustWant2Sew; 07-02-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Did anyone ever admit that the poles were wonky?