Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help Please... again ! >

Need some help Please... again !

Need some help Please... again !

Old 06-13-2016, 05:38 AM

I will never buy a cutter, as the dies are so expensive, but I did purchase triangulations quite a few yrs. ago and downloaded it to my computer. Bring it up, find the finished size you want, for any sized HST, print off a whole page , put your two different fabrics on the unprinted side, sew on the lines, cut apart and voila, you have perfect HST's. You do have to then take the paper off the back, but if you use a small stitch, it is pretty easy and well worth the effort to have perfect HST's.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 AM

Recently I made a Hunter's star quilt for my charity group. Here's my take on hst's: make a bit larger and Starch the fabric to hold shape. This workes very well.

Good luck!
Kathy
Old 06-13-2016, 05:53 PM

There is some half square triangle paper on a roll . It is the easiest for me and it is always perfect. Google half square triangle paper and you can find where to buy it online. Some quilt stores will carry it. comes in different sizes, look for the finished size that you need. you put your 2 pieces of fabric right sides together, place your triangle paper on top. sew on the sewing lines, then cut on the cutting lines and like magic....you have a lot of half square triangles in no time and they are all perfect!!
Old 06-14-2016, 10:38 AM

thanks for all the wonderful advice !!! I'll keep chugging along, and I'll get it
Old 06-15-2016, 02:38 AM

I am usually using the same method you described but like most have said I make them slightly larger then trim, I have never bought a special ruler for hst although I have used thangles but they were just to try them out. I started out making HST the Eleanor Burns way and didn't feel the need to change. I have to admit that I have also used Jenny Doan's method at times but that bias I think is more easily stretched than others.