Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help Please... again ! >

Need some help Please... again !

Need some help Please... again !

Old 06-11-2016, 11:12 AM

Default Need some help Please... again !

All right guys and gals... I have been working on my Alpine Cross quilt, the red, white and black one. Last night was the worst night ever for me and that pattern. My HST's are not turning out right, I measure, remeasure, then cut the fabric, but the fabric is NOT co-operating. Is there any trick to getting HST's to turn out RIGHT?

Thanks in advance everyone

Jo
Old 06-11-2016, 11:23 AM

Make a little bigger than required and trim down?
Old 06-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

That is what I have to do also. I am not that good at it, so this works for me.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

There are many different ways to make HST's. How are you doing it? Are you first cutting triangles and then sewing the triangles together? Or are you cutting squares first, sewing twice down the center, and then cutting? Or.....?

If you are doing either of the two above methods, I would advise starching the fabric as heavily as possible before cutting the triangles or squares. This stabilizes the fabric so it is much less likely to stretch or distort while you are sewing and pressing.

Cutting over-sized and then trimming down is very accurate, but it does add some time to the process. If I were using this method for making lots of HST's, I would invest in the appropriate size Bloc Loc ruler: http://blocloc.com/

My current favorite method for making HST's is to cut triangles using the Accuquilt Go! The Go cuts very accurately and lops off the "dog ears", making matching up the ends very easy. I do not pre-wash my fabric so I don't have to starch, as there is enough sizing in the fabric already to keep the triangles stable once they are cut.

I also like using Thangles to make HST's. This method is very accurate, but you do have the extra step of removing the paper. These are widely available, but here is a link to their home page: http://www.thangles.com/howtheywork.html

My best guess about your problem is that, even though you are taking care when cutting, the triangles are getting distorted when being handled and sewn. Remember, you are sewing bias edges together, and bias edges are very prone to stretching.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:03 PM

I vouch for the BlocLoc ruler.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 PM

It could be a problem with pressing. Are you moving your iron when you press the HST's? That will distort them every time. Instead just lay the iron on the seam for a second or two.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I over cut whenever possible and trim down.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:36 PM

Deb Tucker's TUCKER TRIMMER make perfect HST'S everytime.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:39 PM

MaryJo, it would be really helpful to pinpoint your problem if you would describe the method you are using to make your HSTs. There are many variables.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:39 PM

I am doing the "old school" method.... line down the middle on light fabric, 1/4" on either side then cutting, pressing seams open. I'm gonna check out those rulers.... definitely could use some help, considering the whole quilt is HST