Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them? >

They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them?

They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them?

Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Default They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them?

Rulers
Cutting Mats
Rotary cutters
Rotary blades
Pins
Needles
Chairs
Sewing Machines
Scissors
Seam Rippers

We seem to be willing to buy the obviously consumed items such as thread, fabric, stabilizers, batting, etc. before they are completely used up.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:07 AM

Rulers-- I've never replaced any.
mat--after 20 years I did
rotary cutters--when the screw keeps jamming and I can't unscrew it myself and oil doesn't work
blades-- when the skipping gets on my nerves
pins-- I'm using ones that are 5 years old
needles -- after every big project I clean my machine and change the needle and add a drop of oil in the race
chairs-- when back pain is occurring after every sitting
machine-- only to upgrade or for fun (in both cases, only if I have saved the cash --won't go into debt)
scissors-- replace when lost or stolen by sewing gremlins
seam rippers -- when I'm doing more of the work that they are (i.e. When they're dull and I'm pulling more than they are cutting
Old 06-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Rulers---as they break or wear the numbers off
Cutting Mats---just bought 2 about 20 yrs apart. still have the old one
Rotary cutters-----still using the original, but someone here just sent me a new one, so about 35 yrs.
Rotary blades-----i'm not one to throw them out so easily, usually after they skip quite a bit
Pins---- I buy new ones as i loose or they get dull. about one pack every 10-15 yrs.
Needles------buy these more often, about a pack a year, because i loose them
Chairs----got one 15 yrs ago, and will last me till the day i die.
Sewing Machines----about every 10 yrs, the plastic gears just done't seem to last that long.
Scissors-----one pr. about every 6-10 yrs, or after someone cuts cardboard with them
Seam Rippers------i have about 3 floating around somewhere.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:39 AM

Rulers -- only if they are damaged. Although I'm really tempted to try those new Guidelines4Quilting rulers.
Cutting Mats -- When worn. Every 3-5 years depending on use. I do use both sides.
Rotary cutters - haven't had to replace one yet
Rotary blades -- with every new quilt, no exceptions! Sooner if there are any issues cutting.
Pins -- when they bend. I use silk pins, so I end up buying a new 100 pack every other year.
Needles -- when I start piecing, when I start quilting, or if it sounds bad (max of every 8 hours)
Chairs -- haven't needed to. I guess every 40-50 years (mine is 20 years old & still as good as Day 1)
Sewing Machines -- goes in for cleaning once a year, service every few years; don't see need to replace a machine, but I only have a Bernina & an old Singer so they're basically all metal parts
Scissors -- never. I do send them to be sharpened by Gingher 1-2x/year
Seam Rippers -- not as often as I should. Usually only when I lose one -- every 5-7 years.

Last edited by Bree123; 06-21-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Rulers-- I've never replaced any.
mat--after 20 years I did
rotary cutters--when the screw keeps jamming and I can't unscrew it myself and oil doesn't work
blades-- when the skipping gets on my nerves
pins-- I'm using ones that are 5 years old
needles -- after every big project I clean my machine and change the needle and add a drop of oil in the race
chairs-- when back pain is occurring after every sitting
machine-- only to upgrade or for fun (in both cases, only if I have saved the cash --won't go into debt)
scissors-- replace when lost or stolen by sewing gremlins
seam rippers -- when I'm doing more of the work that they are (i.e. When they're dull and I'm pulling more than they are cutting

I'm with Zozee
Old 06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Rotary blades get changed at the first skip, I don't wait to be frustrated. Needles and pins are the cheapest notions to buy so I don't think anything of tossing them and opening a new package. I have too many scissors for any one pair to go dull. I may use the same pair twice in a year. Same with seam rippers. Never pick up the same one each time. I have seven or eight new mats put up (bought on clearance) and change out when the old mat gets a lot of cut lines. I have one rolling stool/chair I like to use so I bought two more for my sewing room. Three chairs will last me my sewing life. I will buy a new machine when I get frustrated with the one I'm using. So far my Bernina has lasted the longest with no problems at all. I would never go in debt or pay monthly costs for any machine.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I replace them as it becomes necessary. When pins are bent, needles dull, rotary blades when dull, rulers when the corners are rounded, markings worn off, cracked--, seam rippers when dull or bent, cutting mats when worn out ( I've replaced my big one once in 16 years, about 7 years ago. I think it stil has many years to go.) scissors, machines-- I've never replaced. I have one pair of my grandmothers scissors that are sharp- great scissors! ( she passed away 30 years ago-- I bet they are at least 60 years old. Buy quality tools and take care of them they should last a life time-- or many lifetimes. I have a 1956 machine that sews beautifully, my Viking is 16 years old-- equipment if quality to start with lasts too. All of my rotary cutters are all 15+ years old, I've never replaced one--my first one is still my favorite, the one I'm most comfortable with. I have many though-- different sizes, shapes; some were gifts, or prizes.
Chairs-- I've switched sewing tables & chairs a few times over the years, moves, rearranging space, trying to find the best chair for the task. I try to take care of all my tools & equipment so I don't have to replace them. I did upgrade my Longarm 3 years ago. I'd had the old basic one for 12 years-- it was time for an upgrade.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Rulers - Haven't needed to do this, but I saw a demo where they put a much used ruler vertically on a granite countertop and you could see where it was bowed in the middle from tiny slivers being cut from it. I periodically check mine to make sure the edge isn't damaged.
Cutting Mats - 15 years
Rotary cutters - 20 years
Rotary blades - bought a bunch so as soon as they skip or I have to press really hard.
Pins - every 6 -12 months i go thru & discard bent or dull ones. For some reason, I pick up a bent pin & put it back in the pincushion instead of throwing it out.
Needles - when it gets dull
Chairs - never
Sewing Machines - going on 20 and 15 years.
Scissors - never
Seam Rippers - haven't replaced any, but do have several
Die Cutter cutting pad - I have an Accuquilt Studio and when I can't stand cutting the excess connecting threads, I change the pad.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM

Rulers; When I brake one or the markings wear off
Cutting Mats; only if they warp
Rotary cutters; still have my first one, works great
Rotary blades; When they start to skip
Pins; when I run out of them. If my pins become dull, bent, or rusty I get rid of them
Needles; hand and machine get replaced as they get dull
Chairs; have only had 2 first was a dinning room chair, second I have now, got it when I moved into my sewing/craft room
Sewing Machines; get new one only after the one I am using dies
Scissors; replace after someone uses them for cutting something like sandpaper, wire.....
Seam Rippers; again replace when they get dull

Because I live so far from a fabric shop I do have stash of notions. I keep 2-3 of everything on hand just in case
Old 06-21-2016, 03:40 PM

I consider pins, needles, rotary cutters to be consumable products, I buy in bulk and replace as needed.

Having said that I have my Granny's Wiss dress making shears. Granny died in 1992 at the age of 82 and had sewn all her life. I would guess that those scissors are over 50 years old. I have them sharpened professionally once a year.

My Henkel scissors are 30 years old and going strong. I have them sharpened about every 2 years.