Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them? >

They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them?

They don't last forever if used a lot - when do you replace them?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 AM

Rulers - Replace if they get badly nicked or chipped, otherwise I buy ones in sizes I think I need when I come across a good sale.
Cutting Mats - right now I have 3, one is about 20 years old but still functional, one is the main one I use its about 6 years old and is starting to get score lines that wont self heal, will be replaced soon, the last one is brand new received as a gift, the same size as my 20 year old one, so if I ever retire the old one the new one will replace it.
Rotary cutters - I have 3, they all work fine so I dont feel the need to replace them.
Rotary blades - consumable product, replace often when the blade shows signs of dullness or nicks
Pins - constantly throw away the bent ones, when my supply starts looking low I buy new ones to add to it
Needles - consumable product. I change needles with every project and sometimes mid project. I buy them in bulk lots of 100 or more on ebay.
Chairs - never had to replace my sewing chair, it works fine.
Sewing Machines - have my machine serviced once a year it doesnt need replacing. That being said, there is a new machine that I really want, so when I get that then I will have 2 machines to alternate using.
Scissors - have the good ones sharpened as needed. The ones I consider to be semi-disposable (fiskars mostly) get retired when starting to dull and moved into the office to be used as paper scissors.
Seam Rippers - I buy 2 or 3 of my favorite style at a time. Have to argue with my husband when its time to buy more as he cannot see how a seam ripper could possibly get dull!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

What's wrong with replacing an old item with something new before you have to? Nothing. I know a few quilters that feel guilt when buying a new rotary blade because the old will still cut if you repeat several times. They are not the happiest people to be around either.

Have to argue with my husband when its time to buy more
Goodness! I can't imagine having to defend the purchase of a seam ripper.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-23-2016 at 08:41 AM.