Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Can't release the stop motion knob on FW >

Can't release the stop motion knob on FW

Can't release the stop motion knob on FW

Old 06-24-2016, 10:24 AM

Default Can't release the stop motion knob on FW

On a FW I was gifted, I cannot get the silver stop motion knob to budge at all. It should release by turning the knob counter-clockwise while holding the hand wheel but the knob will not turn at all. Thought maybe someone had just tightened it a bit much so I tried using one of those rubber jar opener gripper things but still couldn't move it. I tried removing the screw that holds the knob on but, even with the screw out, I can't move that knob - neither turn it nor pull it off. The machine runs beautifully but if I want to wind a bobbin I can't stop the needle from moving up and down if I can't release that knob.
Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:43 PM

Hi Pam. You will have to really oil it probably. More than once. I have that trouble all the time. It takes my Son or my Husband with a big handled TINY screw driver to finally get it loose. Leave the little screw out until you get it to unwind a smidge. If you can put it on its end so the oil will go around in the screw hole. Sometimes I give it a little "judo Lesson", with a rubber hammer. But be careful! Maybe a hair dryer would help.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:01 PM

Thanks. I'll try oiling it. Wasn't sure if it was ok to put oil there.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:29 PM

If nothing else works you can take the needle out or unthread it to fill your bobbin.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
If nothing else works you can take the needle out or unthread it to fill your bobbin.

or (no booing please) you can do like I do with my 301A, wind the next bobbin you will need as you are sewing the current project. It might be that you will need 2 spools of the same color/neutral occasionally. It tickles me to always have that next bobbin ready and waiting....giggle.....

have a great weekend everyone !
Old 06-25-2016, 08:09 AM

A dissolvent oil that I've used with success for stubborn stuck metal parts, is KANO Aerokroil; it magically creeps to where it needs to. It just requires patience with repeated applications of oil soakings and wrenching with a swatch of leather between the knob and teeth of a vice grip pliers. Then once you get it loose, clean the gunk with Mean Green Cleaner & Degreaser. Then if you have it loose and it still won't come off, then use a flat-tipped metal punch and rubber hammer to coax it to slide off from behind.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552807[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tackle-Stuck-Parts.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	552807  

Last edited by lmc8; 06-25-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:53 AM
mac

Great idea, Imc8. I have never heard of those products. I am glad that you put a picture in so that I can see what I need to buy. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:03 AM

I'm going to add my thanks for the pics and info - I have some refurbishing to do on 2 reluctant machines.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=You can do like I do with my 301A, wind the next bobbin you will need as you are sewing the current project. It might be that you will need 2 spools of the same color/neutral occasionally. It tickles me to always have that next bobbin ready and waiting....giggle.....]

Wait, I'm confused, although I love this idea. Do you have a second spool of thread off to the side for the bobbin to wind from?
Ila
Old 07-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Banned

The 301 has a second spool pin on the bed for winding a bobbin, many machines have this.

Cari