Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Klutz Glove? >

Klutz Glove?

Klutz Glove?

Old 07-07-2016, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I think you'd be better off with a Slidelock Ruler. It's what I use. To me, that glove would be a pia to constantly be putting on and taking off, and would disappear underneath fabric all the time. Just mho.
I just recently received my SR and it is great! And just as the maker states because of the thickness of it it is less likely you'll have an accident. (sure hope I didn't jinx myself!!)
Old 07-07-2016, 02:53 AM

I always wear a glove on my left hand when I cut, I take an anti-coagulant so seriously cutting myself would be scary, the hospital is not nearby. I have a glove that I bought in a kitchen supply store that protects the hand and fingers from sharp blades.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:45 AM

I bought a pair of chef's gloves for under $10 on Amazon. Chefs wear them to protect their fingers when using sharp knives. Tried cutting through it with my rotary cutter, but it resisted the blade. Way cheaper than a klutz glove!
Old 07-07-2016, 03:47 AM

After cutting my finger (some of the feeling is gone), I looked for a real klutz glove...sorry, the Fons and Porter glove did not meet my criteria...and I kept looking. Hobby Lobby carries gloves for stained glass work, but they were too big for my hands. I liked them because they were covered with a nice thick rubbery type coating. I found a gardening glove that fit me and there is a coating on it, probably for thorns, etc. I use it every time I have a lot of cutting to do.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 AM

Always wear one when using rotary
cutter. Had to learn the hard way.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I have a metal mesh glove. It is very comfortable and not that heavy at all. It's easier to find in small sizes now then it use to be. I ordered mine through a butcher friend. If you must be sure of no cuts that is the glove to have. I use the Quilter's Slidelock (it was called Rule Steady when I bought it). I have three different sizes of those. The trauma of a cut is worth the few $ to prevent.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:39 AM

I have one but don't always use it although I should. Took a big hunk out of my finger while cutting with the June Taylor shape cutter - so I do try to force myself to use it when cutting with the shape cutter. Love the shape cutter for multiple strips. Just need to discipline myself - I should have learned.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:53 AM

I have a lot of problems trying to wear gloves. But, I watched a craftsy teacher use bits of rubber shelf liner when she FMQ'd and I decided to give it a try. LOVE IT!!!! I have a couple squares (about 6 " square) with my notions. I lay it on the quilt and put my hand on top of it. It holds firmly but is so easy to pick up and move. A side benefit is that it grabs threads. Real cheap, I got 1/3" yd with a coupon at JAF, cost less than $1.50 and used a bunch in the bottom of my notions drawer and it keeps things in place.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:10 AM

Default Klutz Glove

I, too, use the Klutz glove because I had a "live and learn" experience. Ran that rotary cutter right over the end of my index finger and my oh my did it ever bleed. Klutz and I are now best friends!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:21 AM

I wear it faithfully when using my rotary cutter.