Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heading to Madison, WI in mid August--any "can't miss" quilt shops?? >

Heading to Madison, WI in mid August--any "can't miss" quilt shops??

Heading to Madison, WI in mid August--any "can't miss" quilt shops??

Old 07-17-2016, 05:46 PM

Default Heading to Madison, WI in mid August--any "can't miss" quilt shops??

Doing a quick weekend trip to Madison, WI for a close friend's youngest's wedding. Will be traveling straight through on Friday to get there in time for a dinner, but coming home on Sunday may be able to squeeze in a shop on the way home. Definitely have time for a quick shop trip in the Madison area (totally unfamiliar with it)
Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Wanankee is just a few miles from Madison and there is a wonderful shop called Mill House Quilts. Always stopped there when visiting a good friend. Not familiar with Madison shops, but I am sure someone will give you some good tips. Have a great trip!!!
Old 07-17-2016, 09:11 PM

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my guildmate, Heather, 's store Buttons & Bolts in Salem, WI. It is southeast of Madison, near the Illinois border & has all sorts of adorable little trinkets & lovely, quality fabrics. It's near Kenosha, which has both tons of places to eat as well as a fantastic designer outlet mall (Salem, WI is a very, very small town).

Not sure how you will be traveling, straight south of Salem/Kenosha is Fox River Grove, IL. Pieceful Gathering is a shop that only stocks reproduction fabric from the Civil War & 1930's-50's (mainly Civil War, but a good selection of both). It is a cute little 2 story historic house that they converted to their shop & I absolutely adore it. You wouldn't believe how many fabrics they have crammed in there (all nicely organized). They also carry lovely wool & felted wool fabrics and a good sized collection of Primitive Gatherings wool applique patterns (Primitive Gatherings is in Menasha, WI and are also great from what I can tell, but they're 2 hours NE of Madison so you're better off with the limited selection at Pieceful Gathering) and a small but decent selection of pearle cotton. What I love about them most besides the fabrics is that they carry a bunch of colors of the 200m (small) Aurifil for my applique work in a few dozen of the colors of their fabrics, plus some basic neutral YLI hand quilting thread.

Right now they have a Shop Hop Promotion that I believe is running at both shops. If you sign their guest book you get a discount on pretty much your entire order (trying to remember what it is -- 10%, I think). I know PG is running it. Also, if you have a specific request for PG, you can call ahead & they will try to order it for you so it's ready for your trip, or can ship it to you if you order it while at their store (you pay shipping).

Sounds like a really fun vacation! Madison is a great city and you'll get to drive through many beautiful wooded areas & lakes on your way up there.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:37 AM
Power Poster

here is a link that you can search quilt shops by state http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...y-t279997.html
Old 07-18-2016, 03:20 AM

JJ Stitches in Sun Prairie, about 25 minutes from Madison. Nancy Zieman from "Nancy's Notions" and "Sewing With Nancy" fame, her shop is about 45 minutes from Madison in Beaver Dam.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 AM

Sadly all the quilt stores in Madison have closed although there's talk of a new shop opening in Sept. I think MillHouse in Waunakee is the biggest shop in the Madison area. MillHouse is open on Sunday too.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 AM

There is a wonderful shop in Monticello, WI (about 30 minutes south of Madison) called Quilter's Compass. Love love love her shop!!!! There is also Patched and Petals in Belleville which is about 20 minutes south of Madison.