Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts >

Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

Old 07-23-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ansew View Post
Have you or anyone else ordered batting from Walmart specifically for charity quilts? If so, what did you get?
I buy batting from WM all the time. Pellon quilters touch 3 oz 90 inches 9 yards. It runs around $25 and is a manageable size roll. It is thin, but I like thin batting. I still get the wrinkling I like but if you like puffy, it won't work for you.

Marshalls is a better price for sure, but I'm just not sure about getting a 72 yard bolt. I am very close to needing to make a decision though, one way or the other.

I use this batting for all the quilts I make. In fact, I have a Warm and Natural queen size batting that is just sitting there. I like it but it makes the quilt kind of heavy.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38570721?w...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 07-23-2016, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
It's a family owned business so maybe that one is long gone by now! I know one long time employee said when the boss there got old he became a bully and hard to work with. Shady sales tactic like that won't work now. Social media posts would ruin the business and I'd be the first to say good riddance.
Hmmmm....I saw a lot of nasty posts on social media about Joanns? Not so much about Hobby Lobby, but they crucify Joanns all the time.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ansew View Post
Have you or anyone else ordered batting from Walmart specifically for charity quilts? If so, what did you get?
I have ordered the Pellon 80/20 and the Pellon cotton battings from Walmart---I use them for both my own quilts and charity quilts and really like them both. I have not bought large bolts of 100% polyester batting because I don't use it that much. The price you have at Marshalls's sounds like a really good deal.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 AM

I haven't ordered batting from Marshall's, so can't help you there, but have you tried:http://www.heartbeatquilting.com/sho...8-x2058365.htm. They have excellent service and great prices, it's where I buy all my batting.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I haven't ordered batting from Marshall's, so can't help you there, but have you tried:http://www.heartbeatquilting.com/sho...8-x2058365.htm. They have excellent service and great prices, it's where I buy all my batting.
I probably missed it but I couldn't tell how many yards on the roll, plus for me it looked like shipping would run $58.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I don't know what prices are at Marshalls's, but I am finding really good batting prices at Walmart.com, and they have free shipping for orders over $50 wich would be just 1 or 2 rolls of 96" wide batting.
I just got 2 bolts of 80/20 from Walmart and absolutely love it. It is the Pellon natural. It is very soft and quilts up beautifully. It was about $3/yd.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:04 PM

The Soft & Crafty batting (48" wide) available at JoAnn Fabrics is 4 oz and it works great for quilts although I do not buy it anymore since the price has almost doubled. Many of the quilts we quilt are flannel, both pieced top and back, and it works well on the longarm. So one ounce more should not make that much of a difference. We rarely quilt small quilts on a DSM but we use a 4 oz batting if we have it. We are quilting quilts for a nonprofit and have become scroungers for batting and purchase batting at thrift stores and rummage sales for the small quilts (we have approximately 100 crib/small tops to be quilted. We use Soft & Brite or Hobbs 80/20 for the larger quilts.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I really like them, but am a little afraid to order from them. I ordered one cone of thread once, wanted to try a sample before buying more. They stated a price for shipping on their web site that was truly reasonable for that cone of thread. When I received the product, the shipping was much higher. If I'm not mistaken, it about doubled the price of the cone of thread. I called them. They said they charge minimum shipping. I said they should say so on their web site. Apparently, somewhere on their web site, it said so, just not on the ordering page. They claimed the low quote was a Paypal glitch. They refunded me my shipping and were really nice about it and even asked me how they should approach alerting their customers about the glitch. I said, maybe if the shipping is higher than quoted, the customer should get a call or email BEFORE shipping the product, rather than a surprise when the product arrives. I don't have any reason not to believe them, but I haven't shopped there since.

They seem to have a good reputation in Spokane.

So I guess the moral of the story is make sure and call first and get a confirmation about shipping before ordering from them. Their Hobbs 80/20 is at a really good price, but I'll probably pick it up in person the next time I'm over there, rather than having it shipped ;-).
Old 07-24-2016, 02:54 PM

Yes, the shipping is the killer most of the time. Years ago(at least 20--maybe 25) there used to be a place in Denver where I would go and get my batting(where they made pillow forms as well). They had great prices, and I could drive there easily to pick up batting and pillow forms and save on shipping.

But, alas, I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place. I've googled and can't find anyplace in Denver that manufacturers pillow forms or batting. I vaguely remember it was west of I-25 and in an industrialized part of town. I'm not even sure if they're still in business and of course, we have moved since then and I can't find any paperwork with a name or anything.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:57 PM

Yes, Walmart is certainly on my radar as they have free shipping on most roll batting over $50 and the 80/20 is a great price. I thought maybe the polyester might have a higher loft---not something an inch, but maybe something along the lines of a bedspread like in a hotel/motel.