Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts >

Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

Old 07-22-2016, 03:34 PM

Default Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

So, I would like to get some of their quilt batting for donation quilts. Has anybody used Marshall's batting for charity quilting? If so, what "weight" did you get? These would be quilts that would be shipped overseas(Lutheran World Relief and Mennonite Central Committee).

I thought I read of someone on this board who purchased the lightest weight they carry and it was still fluffy enough for tied quilts, but of course, I can't find the thread now.

Marshall's has a 96" wide roll polyester that is 5 oz. per linear yd. Does anybody know how thick this is and whether it would be thick enough for these kinds of quilts that will most likely be tied or very simple quilting along seam lines(free form serpentine)? Would the 5 oz. also be thin enough to use on the longarm?

Thanks for those of you who can give me your advice based on your experiences. I emailed Sharon and she said to call her on Monday, but I thought I'd check here also and find out what everybody's experience has been with the polyester batting from Marshall's before I give her a call.

And yes, I realize there would be $30 shipping charge per roll. But even with the shipping charge, the price is very good if the batting would be good for charity quilts overseas.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Ask Sharon if you can get a sample piece of the poly. Next time I go there I'll check out each batting they sell by the roll. There are usually big bins of it up front in all different yardage amounts. There is no name brand on any of it that I have noticed just content.

I remember one time Marshall's gave our guild a roll of poly batting and we used it for tie quilts. It was fine. I have no idea the weight of it though.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:53 PM

I can only answer about the longarm. Longarms are designed to do bedspreads -- big, fluffy, polydown bedspreads. That was one of the original uses. In the old days they were called Industrial quilters ;-). I bought mine 20 years ago from someone who did nothing but thick bedspreads on it for the home dec industry. 5 oz definitely won't be too much for a longarm ;-).

Here's a description of battings, which will tell you that 5 oz is pretty much on the low end of thickness. https://www.createforless.com/buying...right-one.aspx

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 07-22-2016, 04:11 PM

Thanks ---I'm pretty sure I have one of those Industrial quilters!! :-)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 05:14 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 07-22-2016, 04:24 PM

I used to be the Manager Of the Mennonite Quilt Center in Reedley, CA. The batting that we used at the center to tie the comforters was polyester 12oz. Since we were a store and a quilting center we were able to buy it on wholesale. And we were also the drop off point for oversea shipping of the West Coast Mennonite Central Committee, so many were with 6oz. Sometimes church organizations would asked us to add and order for them when we placed our store order....then they would get a 25% discount.

6oz is pretty thin so I guess that 5oz is thinner and that would work well in the LA, I have used the 6oz several times when customers have brought it with their quilts. There is not too much loft with it.

I am not familiar with Marshalls batting..so my response refers to Hobbs and Quilter's Dream.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ansew View Post
So, I would like to get some of their quilt batting for donation quilts. Has anybody used Marshall's batting for charity quilting? If so, what "weight" did you get? These would be quilts that would be shipped overseas(Lutheran World Relief and Mennonite Central Committee).

I thought I read of someone on this board who purchased the lightest weight they carry and it was still fluffy enough for tied quilts, but of course, I can't find the thread now.

Marshall's has a 96" wide roll polyester that is 5 oz. per linear yd. Does anybody know how thick this is and whether it would be thick enough for these kinds of quilts that will most likely be tied or very simple quilting along seam lines(free form serpentine)? Would the 5 oz. also be thin enough to use on the longarm?

Thanks for those of you who can give me your advice based on your experiences. I emailed Sharon and she said to call her on Monday, but I thought I'd check here also and find out what everybody's experience has been with the polyester batting from Marshall's before I give her a call.

And yes, I realize there would be $30 shipping charge per roll. But even with the shipping charge, the price is very good if the batting would be good for charity quilts overseas.
I will soon be needing some more batting so am interested in this topic. How many yards are on the bolt of batting you referenced, and how much will that bolt run (without the 30 extra dollars)? I buy thin batting because it is easier to handle and I still a nice wrinkled effect (which I like). Thanks.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 PM

I don't know what prices are at Marshalls's, but I am finding really good batting prices at Walmart.com, and they have free shipping for orders over $50 wich would be just 1 or 2 rolls of 96" wide batting.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:30 PM

You might contact the Fabric Outlet in Springfield Missouri too. Last weekend he had a sale on batting 417 890 9000.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I don't know what prices are at Marshalls's, but I am finding really good batting prices at Walmart.com, and they have free shipping for orders over $50 wich would be just 1 or 2 rolls of 96" wide batting.
Yes, I have checked them out as well, but Marshall's still beats them per yard.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:02 PM

So, from what I've been able to gather from TesesaA's post, a 6 oz. has about a half in. loft. 4.5 oz. has a 3/8 in. loft. So I'm assuming 5 oz. would be between the two. I'll find out on Monday.