Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plans for sewing room after I'm gone. >

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Sorry about the loss of your sister, but it is a reminder to use those beautiful fabrics we have, instead of saving them until we develope better skills. Best wishes for you in the days ahead.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
My DH will probably check with my quilting buddy/mentor before doing anything with my stuff. There's not much in the way of fabrics but there are machines.

But my main point in posting in this thread...some of you have mentioned hand-written instructions to add to your will. Please be sure to have those notarized at a minimum. My father passed away earlier this year and had made some (minor) hand-written changes to his will. Long story short - it's been a process getting those changes accepted by the probate court. But I would recommend that if you have lots of specifics as to who gets what or how things are to be disposed, please just update your will. Your heirs will thank you.
Consider a Living Trust VS a will.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

This afternoon I'm going over to my late neighbor's to help sort through her sewing things..her DH has no idea where to start and no one interested in it...this has spurred me to get busy, too and in the last 3 weeks I have finished one large quilt, sewed a large crib quilt from stash, and have a UFO quilt sandwiched ready to quilt...I've also been scouting patterns to use for stash reduction...

This is a thought provoking thread...one needs to be realistic about our accumulations. I've enjoyed reading the ideas that have been put forth and hope to act on some. I've been sharing my love of sewing with Grands, which may help in the fabric distribution when I am gone. In the meantime I will "just keep sewing, just keep sewing" and buy to finish a project rather than add to the chaos..
Old 08-26-2016, 08:33 AM

Gail, condolences on the loss of your sister.

Candlesewer, I went through a similar turn when I lost my best friend tragically and had to empty her apartment...your remarks hit home.

And to second AZJane, a living trust avoids probate which can drag on for years and be costly. A living trust is simple to set up & keeps one out of court.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:36 AM

My (long ago) business partner and I have been working on this. We used to own a small sewing shop and have so much stuff left over from there...even tho we closed it down 15 years ago. The fabric is no problem. Any of our quilt groups would love that. But what do you do with drawers full of zippers, buttons, snaps, lace.... all those things we used to sewing clothing from? The quilting came after the business sold but all the other things????? OH, and rolls of ribbons, tapes, etc etc etc. Any suggestions? (I'm 80 and she's 88...so think we need to start sizing DOWN!)
Old 08-26-2016, 09:06 AM

My daughter is a quilter, so now when I buy fabric, I see it as her inheritance. She has been told to transport all the fabric to New Hampshire (or where ever she lives when I am gone) from California.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:38 AM

Thank you for this important thread. I have started going through my books and donating them to the local library. I have been giving fabric and patterns that no longer interest me to new quilters, so they can afford to buy the tools and start right. But in the long run there will still be lots to move out at the end of my life. I like the idea of distributing the fabric to charity groups for local hospitals and nursing homes.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 AM
mac

Gail,

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. It must seem like a double whammy that her husband wants to erase her hobby so quickly. I am sure he is just totally befuddled and doesn't know the first thing about how to get rid of her stuff.

You bring up an excellent case for why we need to have plan in letting our spouses know who to contact and that person/s knows what our wishes are for distribution.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:43 AM

We all will come to this point in time as your sister has. Sorry for your loss, Gail.
I am purging my sewing room and organizing as I go, taking me a longer time than I thought.
As I am doing this, I decided to make quilts for future great grandchildren who will be born after I am gone to heaven. Making one for each of my 7 grandchildren. So after finishing a quilt for my other brother and sister-in-law, I will start on each of these. Have plenty of fabric to make cute ones and will make for boys and girls. All the grandchildren know I am doing this. Will continue making care quilts to give to our church and quilt groups.
What is left will go to them or daughters.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:39 AM

I can think of lots of places that would love your sewing notions.

Home Ec programs in schools, local theatre groups, sell them by lots on ebay or other online sale sites, give to a charity that gives sewing supplies to Africa, donate them to Sew Powerful, where they make purses and supplies for girls' monthly time.

With sewing bags, and totes being all the rage nowadays, you can easily sell the zippers in bulk, plus snaps and various trims.

Originally Posted by terri123 View Post
My (long ago) business partner and I have been working on this. We used to own a small sewing shop and have so much stuff left over from there...even tho we closed it down 15 years ago. The fabric is no problem. Any of our quilt groups would love that. But what do you do with drawers full of zippers, buttons, snaps, lace.... all those things we used to sewing clothing from? The quilting came after the business sold but all the other things????? OH, and rolls of ribbons, tapes, etc etc etc. Any suggestions? (I'm 80 and she's 88...so think we need to start sizing DOWN!)