Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt >

Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt

Charity Quilt Tops Smell Too Bad to Quilt

Old 08-27-2016, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Send them back and tell why you are unable to work on them. It is their job to make sure they are clean. I have send tops back over smaller issues.
I totally agree with returning them.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by silliness View Post
Try setting them outside in the sun for an hour to kill any mold spores and then letting them sit outside in a more shaded place for the rest of the day. If you can get a fan blowing on them to help circulate the air around them, that would be really helpful. Hanging them on a closeline is ideal but laying them out across patio furniture should work.
Is is what I would do. Just know some smells won't go away...no matter what. Maybe someone in the group could swap tops to quilt? Give you ones that aren't as noticeably smelly for the ones you have? It's not worth getting sick over...which can happen. plus you don't want that smell in your home.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:28 AM

IMHO: Don't spin them or dry them or the tops will ravel into the seam lines. A friend gave me a top her grandmother pieced and it smelled so she ruined it by washing it. Entire pieces shredded. So, use Lysol or Febreeze and line dry before you attempt to do anything with them. Good luck and let us know if it works.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I opted to wash and dry them. They actually came out really good. Only found two seams that opened up. And that is because the seam allowance was way too narrow. So it would have happened the first time the quilt was washed.
So I'll repair it and quilt them and return them. Next time I'll know better than to take quilts that need washing. I think the thing for me to do is find a place I can donate where I make the quilt from start to finish thus eliminating the need to work with other people's fabrics. This is supposed to be a fun hobby and this has been anything but. SVAL
So happy you found a solution to save the tops and save you, too. I was going to say wash them and let come what may. What's the difference if all the seams are not lying like they should. That really doesn't show much in the finished quilt.
Another thing I was going to say, is to use a diluted solution of chlorine bleach as a last resort. That almost always gets rid of musty smells and doesn't fade fabric as much as you might think.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:46 AM

why cant you put them in a sink with vinegar and swish them around. why would you want to try to cover up the smell and give them away. people don't deserve to get junk like that. if its that bad throw it away. people have other problems. why would I want to wrap myself around something that stinks.

Last edited by puma; 08-27-2016 at 06:49 AM. Reason: added to post
Old 08-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I am in the cranky pants group -

send it back with "regrets" and not make myself ill over the stuff.

If the people get their undies in a bunch - so sad, too bad.

I definitely would NOT want to receive a finished item that smelled icky. Why would I want to work on something that smells bad?

(Okay - I lived on a farm - there are some smells there that I probably would not want at a tea party, but they did not make me ill. The smells were "acceptable" outside - but not in the house!)
Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I too have a very difficult time saying things that need to be said in a tactful way. I don't mean to offend. It's just things don't come out quite right sometimes.
I sometimes struggle with that also. But I have learned that some people seem to be offended no matter what you do so you just have to do your best and let it go if they aren't happy about it.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:10 AM

I'm so glad you have found a solution, although you shouldn't have been put in that predicament in the first place.

Having made a few QoV myself from the fabric I purchased and from donations, I only had one parcel that I had to refuse. Her heart was on the right place, but she had kept the fabric in what was obviously a smoking environment. Hubby and I don't smoke and don't allow anyone to smoke in our house because of the smell.
Luckily, the donation was in a bag and handed over to the local quilt shop to be given to me and I opened the bag there. It stunk to high heavens and the people in the shop agreed with me to send it back with a thank you and a polite explanation.
I hope the quilts turn out well.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I also am glad you were able to de-smell the quilts enough to finish them. Bless your heart, that is terrible! I know many people store their fabrics in the basement not realizing the consequences.
I do have to say something to the ladies who mentioned fabreaze, This stuff is toxic! I read where many people get deathly sick from it and it will not wash out, ever! I am sorry, but, I had to tell you. Just google it and some articles will come up.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM

I'm sensitive to smells from the perfumes in detergents, dryer sheets, etc. I have a hard time working with fabric that has been washed in these perfumed wash products. I feel for you.