Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit >

Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit

Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit

Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 AM

I am considering the BlockRockit and have been reading all I can about it. I read yesterday that sometimes thread breakage can be caused by a frame that is not level.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-16-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-26-2016, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
The thread is brand new so that is not it, the eye of the needle is large enough I'm using 50 weight thread. The thing is that I've been using the same thread since I got my machine (the Q'nique BTW ) and this just started I've changed threads and it just got worse. This is why I posted the question, wondering what anyone else was using. Am thinking of ordering some Aurifil to see if it makes it better. Also did try the other trouble shooting suggestions.
OK, a couple of things I look for when this happens...
1) I unthread the machine, and grab a good length of dental floss (yes, DENTAL FLOSS) and use it to clean between the top tension disks.
2) change the needle - sometimes a needle will get a burr that we can't see (but you can feel it sometimes).
3) clean the bobbin case Extra good. Look at Jamie Wallen's YouTube video on thread tension. One of the things he does is slip a large pin thru the thread path of the bobbin case. (It's a LOT easier to understand by watching the video)
4) check your upper thread path. Get a length of some finer thread (silk works great if you have it) and use that length of thread much like you would dental floss in your teeth. You should not feel any snag/drag on the thread anywhere in the usual path.

Since you say you changed threads and it just got worse, I'm pretty sure there's something snagging somewhere along the path of the thread.

Sometimes you just need to walk away for a day or so, too, so you're not stressing yourself into making things worse.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM

I just received my Qnique yesterday, DH is helping me get it on my Next Generation frame and we have problems. The carriage is jumping off of the track! DH is very mechanically minded <snort> I am sure he will have it up and running for me by....tomorrow?

All of the tips about the Qnique were greatly appreciated.

Have a great weekend.

JulieM
Old 12-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Threads breaking

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Was wondering if there is a thread or threads that your machine likes better than another. Having a problem with thread breaking and shredding, so due to the frustration this causes I decided to post this question. Thanks for your responses.
I am so thankful for everyones comments on this. I did All of the suggestions and I no longer have breakage. I corrected the level of the frame, cleaned the bobbin, lowered the presser foot, and adjusted the tension and now it sews like a dream. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:00 PM

I had trouble with thread un-twisting in humid, rainy weather.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:21 PM

I use connecting Threads Essential thread cones, the polyester. Seems to work well. Initially, I had problems with the actual quilting. It turned out that the bobbin case was defective.

Other thoughts:

1. Make sure your needle is in straight - straight is important - and has no burs.
2. ensure bobbin tension is set correctly
3. Check that you have the machine threaded correctly. I spent hours trying to fix a tension problem one day. Next day, I went to my machine to do battle and immediately noticed that I had not threaded it correctly.
4. Try a different spool of thread. Sometimes we get a bad spool....
5. Check the timing. I have never personally checked the timing, but the Q'nique 21 manual has instructions on how to check it and set it.