Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 09-29-2016, 05:56 AM

I donate mine to a thrift shop to help disabled people. I'm now letting all my subscriptions run out. I loved Quilters Newsletter- but they are no more. It's getting to where all the quilts look about the same to me. Fast and easy.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Unless Quilters Newsletter had changed since I dropped my subscription - the cover magazine was just a teaser - no directions for how to make it or where to get directions for how to make it.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:04 AM

I too had a lot of quilt magazines; mine, my mothers AND grandmothers. I went through what I wanted and asked at a sewing class I go to if anyone was interested. There was a quilt guild in the area that asked for them. I gave them boxes and boxes of them. They were glad to get them.
My sister also went through all her magazines too and took out the patterns she wanted and ditched the rest. But you still have to find a place to keep those too. I've let all my subscriptions lapse; there are SO many free, pretty ones online it makes paying for a magazines with more ads than quilt not worth the fee to purchase. And they put out fewer each year.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have a huge bookcase with all my quilt magazines. They are not organized at all. I wish they were. I haven't looked at any of them for over two years. And I have lots of quilt books. Should I just throw all the magazines out? They go back quite a few years and I don't know if the library would take them all...too many to donate. I don't want to spend the time organizing the mags so they aren't of any use, like knowing which issue has a pattern I want. What should I do? I think the books I don't want I could take to the library.
If you have a Half-Price Book Store near you, you could take them there and and recoup a tiny fraction of what you paid for them and still help out quilters.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:53 AM

We just downsized my mom from a lg home to an apartment. We donated much of her books to the senior cizens center, they loved them, when they went to the library they just sold them at their yearly sale.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:42 AM

I've been going through quite a few of my magazines & have donated them to the local senior center. Even if they are older, someone may want a pattern that's in it or may just enjoy looking through it. There is also a homemakers group near me that took some of the magazines and craft books.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I think it would cost a ton to mail them. And I don't want to search for certain magazines. I have to take care of a sick person.
If they are mailed be sure to mail them at the "Education rate" which is very inexpensive. All printed material is educational.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:37 AM

My library takes donations of book, magazines, audio books, and DVDs. They put them in their semi-annual used book sale. The library also area in the entrance hallway with used materials on sale all year long. Call your library. They would probably love to have them. The money goes towards buying new materials.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:17 AM

Our local library has a bin for donated magazines. It is free to library patrons.
When I have a large number of magazines to donate, I just take a batch at a time.
They always seem to disappear. In turn, I have picked up quilting magazines there to peruse. I think it's great.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM

Does you local or regionial library have a used book sale? Different area in which we have lived seem to have one every year and the quilting magazines usually go quickly. Another donation idea is if you have any centers for seniors or the handicapped they often have a store of some sort that thay use to raise much needed funds.