Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Surprisingly simple lunch today! >

Surprisingly simple lunch today!

Surprisingly simple lunch today!

Old 10-29-2016, 05:17 AM

I was addicted to sugar too. Didn't know how I could ever be successful at losing. But in May my Dr told me I had diabetes. That was the kick in the pants I needed. I regret that it took something like diabetes to get me to take my eating habits seriously. I've cut out sugary junk foods from that day. No problem, no cravings. (Why couldn't I do that without the health threat?) I don't count calories but make good choices and make sure I get protein. My snacks are an apple in the afternoon and sf jello with cool whip in the evening. I drink Crystal Light all day. A treat is a Mt Dew on the weekend (maybe every other weekend. I LOVE Mt Dew! Hate the diet Mt Dew) I've lost 26 lbs and am hoping to hit 30 by the time I see the Dr again in November.
My good wishes to anyone struggling with weight issues. I love buying new clothes in smaller sizes and getting rid of the old!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:19 PM

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I am trying to follow a similar diet also. I have bad knees. I had one replaced 1 1/2 years ago. The surgery went really well. I am fighting a replacement on the other one. The doctor said wow that is ready to replace when he saw the X-rays of it. I'm just not ready to do it again. I do know that the sugar and carbs cause it to hurt more. I have had injections and it is somewhat better. I also am trying to drop some weight. I am down 40 pounds but have been stuck there for months. I have lots more to go. I find that exercise really helps with the stiffness once I get going. I do a spinning class 3x week and a weight class 2x. Good luck with the hip replacement.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:19 PM

Thank you for starting this thread Jan. Everyone is so encouraging! Thanks for giving me encouragement by reading your posts.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:29 AM

I need to follow you in your quest. I let myself eat a lot of candy last night. i don't usually keep it around but Halloween is special. I splurged and now I really don't feel so good. I Know all about good nutrition but I can't seem to get my brain and my stomach to get together. I get tired and I want a treat. It doesn't have to be candy it can be Ruffles! I know what to do. I just need to do it. Glad you are making the decision for healthy nutrition.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Jan, are you on a probiotic after all your medical issues? You must have been given antibiotics. Your tummy may need some enzymes or hydrocloric acid after all it's been through.

If you're looking at joint pain, the RA restriction on nightshades is worth a try. I gave up potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant a year ago. It takes 90 days before you can reintroduce them for testing. I waited 6 months - tomatoes were terrible - instant pain and inflammation. Potatoes were inconclusive - I need to try them again. Haven't tried the peppers yet. It was tough during our harvest season, but it's been worthwhile for me.

Good for you on using a misadventure to improve your health. I would have returned to eating everything in sight. I allow myself 4 dark chocolates a day, but on too many days more slid in. Let's work on this together.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

wow viewing this post and then screen went to Christinas ultimate diet!
Old 11-04-2016, 07:13 AM

I have to wonder if anybody over the age of 50 can just eat what they please. I look normal weight but don't envy me. There are only one or two items I can order from the average restaurant menu. Lactose intolerance primary problem--but I've just been through a terrible mess that I think started with too much fiber. My system just can't handle the bulk. So that means very little uncooked food. Bananas are OK but no apples, etc. Certainly no whole grains. I live on white bread, white rice, pasta. And when the going gets tough--good old sugar (jello, ginger ale). Dr said he will do a flex. sig. if the heavy bleeding starts up again. Nobody promised us a rose garden!!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:18 PM

It only takes me one bite of something with sugar in it...like ice cream...and I'm immediately hooked again. It's a hard thing to give up, but each day is a new day!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I've cut down on the creamer in my coffee. I don't use a lot but don't add more until I go for a 3rd recap not refill. That is helping. Not wanting to increase my A1c. Hubs looked at me weird when I fixed a no bread sandwich (aka lettuce roll-up) Did same for breakfast No toast just egg and 2 links sausage in lettuce. Not bad.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am trying to eat better but can't kick my sugar habit.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I quit buying ice cream for myself. I would get breyer's Heath and their salted caramel truffle gelato. Just not going to buy it. Only way. But the cookies are killing me and on their way out. Gave the leftover Halloween candy to the neighbor.
Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
It only takes me one bite of something with sugar in it...like ice cream...and I'm immediately hooked again. It's a hard thing to give up, but each day is a new day!