Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Surprisingly simple lunch today! >

Surprisingly simple lunch today!

Surprisingly simple lunch today!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:52 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default Surprisingly simple lunch today!

Following a serious bout of 'tummy issues' last week, and the concurrent "fear" of eating almost anything for the past 10 days, I've lost 11 pounds. I've stayed very hydrated, so I know it's not just so much water weight.
But, because the inflammation is waaay down in my hands, wrists, knees, and back, and I feel so much better , I'm trying hard to cut out things that 'hurt' me and eat only about half the amount I used to consume. No sugar, breads, heavy fats, dairy except yogurt. Adding in a banana and/or apple frequently when I used to eat them hardly at all.

Well today, for the first time I was really hungry, but was determined to "be good". So using what was on hand, I fixed:

about 3/4 cup leftover plain long-grain/wild rice,
about 3/4 cup canned black beans,
about 8 spears chopped, plain steamed, leftover asparagus,
about 2 tablespoons of fresh-from-the-deli chunky salsa in a little bowl,
heated it, and had a great lunch!
Couldn't believe how tasty and filling it was! The medium salsa added all the flavor and it was perfect for my newly adjusting taste buds. Low fat, decent carbs, 'combined' protein, and two veggies (maters and asparagus), what's not to like!

Going try this one again. Determined to keep on the "regimen" and hope to lose another 10 pounds before reporting to the ortho doc in November for scheduling that other hip replacement next year.

Jan in VA
Old 10-27-2016, 02:00 PM

Sounds delicious. Simple is good. Good luck with your new "regime". I am guessing that feeling better will be a great motivator :-)
Old 10-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I am trying to eat better but can't kick my sugar habit.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:25 PM

That sounds good, Jan! You can do it!
Old 10-27-2016, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

I think the sugar habit is the hardest. I quit buying ice cream and gelato for myself. Hubby gets his container of natural vanilla ice cream and I would get Breyer's Heath Ice cream or the salted caramel with chocolate caramel truffles. I know only way was to go cold turkey and baby steps. I usually have hazelnut creamer in my coffee and slowly cutting back on that. Ugh!!
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Old 10-27-2016, 07:23 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Kicking the sugar habit is the hardest thing on earth!!! After all, sugar affects the brain the same way heroin does, and we all know how addictive that is. The only way I did it this time is by being so darn sick for 5 days when all that would stay with me was water. I wasn't even hungry.

So I determined not to lose the advantage those 5 days head start could give me. Otherwise I would just have to brazen it out, expect bad dreams of things I couldn't eat, endure the withdrawal headaches, even dizziness and nausea, for at least one week to ten days. Hideous experience, for me anyway.

I have allowed myself up to 3 little balls of Brookside Dark Chocolate covered Cranberries or Blueberries a day. They consider 16 pieces to be a serving! These little things are smaller than a short thumbnail and make me feel less deprived on a day when I just can't "live" without something sweet.

I wish you all the luck on your own journey. For me, every day so far has been a battle; today was a bit less successful, but tomorrow is a new day!

Jan in VA
Old 10-28-2016, 02:29 AM

I started using honey for a sweetener instead of sugar in my coffee. For those trying to stop using sugar this might be an option - restaurants are only too happy to bring honey when you ask for it.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:40 AM

Hi Jan,

I've been eating similar to this since Jan. and have lost 50#s! The Dr. told me 5# a month is a great rate since you won't lose muscle. I will have to say, I went cold turkey on the sweets and now do no even crave them, sort of like giving up smoking. I have found the site Skinneytaste very helpful for recipes. One mistake I used to make when just beginning this journey was not eating enough protein and becoming sort of lightheaded. It gets much easier and eventually your body will not want to overeat or eat high fat or high calorie foods. I made a birthday cake for my adult child this summer and had one small bite and didn't even crave more! My snack has been 10 almonds. I also have been faithfully eating 3 meals a day on time and like to eat the same nutritious meal everyday for breakfast and lunch so I can keep track of my calories better.

Good luck on your weight loss adventure, it's so exciting to throw away clothes that no longer fit! I always enjoy reading your comments and looking at the pictures of quilts you post.

Last edited by quiltbuddy; 10-28-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 AM

I'm glad you are feeling better now. Following a food plan that works for you will be great for your body. We have to do whatever works for us.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:19 AM

One of these days my steady diet of Dr. Pepper will hit me just like it hit you. Probably a cold turkey for me too. Good luck with all your food choices.