Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting out fabric for a project >

cutting out fabric for a project

cutting out fabric for a project

Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
I don't ever pre cut every piece for a quilt. Maybe because I am not that kind of organized person. I usually make scrappy quilts and make one block to try out the pattern and see if I like it or can make it an easier way or save fabric if I cut it another way, etc. Then I make lots of blocks and decide on sashing to join them together and maybe cornerstones, then borders. The finished quilt is usually a surprise that is quite different from what I thought it would be. Could be wonderful or something that I would make other choices if I were to do it over again. HA It is kind of an adventure to me, like putting a puzzle together and being surprised by the outcome. Of course, we are all different and some of you would never want to quilt this way. But, it is all fun to me.
This is exactly what I do! I never follow a pattern because I just can't read patterns. Very dyslexic, so this works for me. Also I quilt as you go, so patterns won't work well. Each section has to stand alone because of the sashing. I am 73 and have only quilted for 4 years, so I will always and forever be a beginner.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:16 AM

I like to cut and I try to be very organized with lots of labels. This way I usually cut everything from one piece of fabric and then fold that and put it in a stack. Then I do another piece of fabric. I do not like lots of different fabrics sitting about knowing that I will have to go through all those pieces of fabric multiple times. I think it saves lots of time to do it this way. But, labels are very important.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:28 AM

*** I love cutting, but I will not cut a whole quilt for fear of messing up the whole thing.
*** Cut one block at a time, or maybe two.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:51 AM

I don't precut my material. This is due to if I cut it all and I am off on one piece, then the whole quilt might be off. I cut One square at a time. It is easier that way.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
I enjoy the cutting just as much as the quilting, actually

Me too! I love the cutting step. My least favorite step is putting the blocks together into rows and rows into completed top. Handling all that bulk makes me cranky. Of course, then you're done with it so it's still worth it!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
...I cut all pieces at once, minus the borders. It kills my knees standing that long, but I want it done...
Am I the only person who cuts and presses sitting down?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:11 AM

it seems when I pre cut I cut too many also do that when making binding
Old 12-07-2016, 10:37 PM

Default Cutting out quilts,. fun or not.??

I have been cutting two quilts of the same pattern at the same time. , but different colors .iF i am making one for someone else. then i have one to keep and one to gift or sell. The cutting is easier as you get in a groove and cut dbl. then put all of one quilt pieces in a zip bag including borders, and date and label. when i need a quigk quilt for something , gift etc. its ready. also copy of pattern and instructions. cmaras1234
Old 12-08-2016, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by ShannanMN View Post
Am I the only person who cuts and presses sitting down?

No, I sit as much as I can. Back problems prevent me from standing for extended periods of time. My sewing machine/cutting table is up against my ironing table (think L shape) so I don't have to get up to go from pressing to sewing/cutting.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:14 PM

I don't precut a whole project -- mainly because I have a tendency to get bored making blocks over and over again. I cut out a few and sew them, then I go back to cutting. Sometimes I make a quarter of the quilt and assemble it before I cut the blocks for the next quarter. Sometimes I decide I don't like the pattern enough to make the quilt so I do a table topper. About 10 years ago, I did a king size semi-scrappy quilt that I wanted to go from light to dark down and from left to right (like and ombre but there were 8 strip pieced HSTs in each block) and I cut and pieced one block at a time to make sure I got the right look. (No pattern, just something I played with -- I do that a lot)