Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and Thread Suggestions for Fabric Calendar Quilt >

Quilting and Thread Suggestions for Fabric Calendar Quilt

Quilting and Thread Suggestions for Fabric Calendar Quilt

Old 12-18-2016, 08:41 PM

Beautiful quilt!
Old 12-18-2016, 09:41 PM

Thanks for posting this. My mother, who recently passed, had saved several of these and I've been looking for ideas to use them. Please be sure to post the quilt once you've finished with quilting and binding.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:27 AM

No suggestion for quilting, but I love this quilt! And I remember these calendars. My mother always had one hanging in her kitchen. She later used them as dish towels, which was their purpose, I think.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
So glad that you have the calendars pre-shrunk .... I was thinking in that regard, as Mom never washed her calendar tea towels. They were just for "show" . Plus because I have some never used hand-embroidered linen tea towels that I keep thinking about turning into a quilt. Someday, when I find just the right pattern and fabrics to do it.

Great that you plan to have it done for Christmas .... you can tell your Mom you did it on the installment plan!

Good plan to do a practice sandwich. You may find you need to adjust your tension a bit, to avoid "pokies" so that the two different thread colours meet nicely in the midst of the sandwich. To me, a one thread colour back makes for a much showier quilt.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it as a finished quilt.
Good Luck ... you have a lot of work ahead of you to get it done on time!

.........Now quit hanging out on the internet and get quilting!!
My grandmother also never used them as towels... only for show. But, I washed them because they smelled a little musty (had been packed away for years). I wasn't even think about shrinkage. I lucked out!

".....Now quit hanging out on the internet and get quilting!! "...... have to finish Christmas shopping tonight, then that's my focus!!
Old 12-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewCraftyGirl View Post
....................Now quit hanging out on the internet and get quilting!! "...... have to finish Christmas shopping tonight, then that's my focus!!
Good Luck with the shopping ... better you than me to be in the stores right now!
Old 12-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I would not quilt the calendars densely if I were to do this. Even though the weave is looser then you are used to the fabric is still strong. ( linen)
I would stitch a grid on the calendar sections, squares around the months and do some free motion, detail quilting to highlight the photos, using a cream/ neutral thread.

I like this idea. What a great quilt you have created.
peace
Old 12-19-2016, 08:34 PM

No suggestions from this peanut gallery. I just wanted to say I love the fabrics you chose to compliment the calendars. Some of them were so familiar to me! You have excellent taste!
Old 12-20-2016, 04:51 AM

Sorry I can't be of any help with quilting ideas...I still have a t-shirt quilt pinned and basted with no idea how to quilt it... but I just wanted to add what a neat quilt that is surely to become a keepsake.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 AM

I had a few of these come my way. You know what I did with them? I made kitchen curtains! I placed a heavier fabric on the back...and wallah, they break the light and cold/heat that used to beat onto that window!
Old 12-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Thread, I would use the color that matches the background of the calendar. good luck