Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemotherapy quilt? >

Chemotherapy quilt?

Chemotherapy quilt?

Old 12-31-2016, 06:17 AM

I am a twice breast cancer survivor. I am proud of the pink ribbon, etc. I beat the disease. As a cancer volunteer, I find that some women do not want others to know about their disease. A bright colorful quilt would cheer them. I made several and put fleece on the back with a low loft poly batting because chemo rooms are sometimes very cold.
Most of all bring your friend a meal and just be there, laugh with her, cry with her, do errands if needed.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:28 AM

I make quilts for the Cancer patients monthly. Do not use wool batting because it cannot be washed in hot water due to shrinkage. I use two layers of warm and natural batting only 100% cotton fabric. I do not use flannel for the purpose of after it is washed a few times it will be scratchy.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I think someone posted before about a chemo quilt with a kind of "pocket" for the feet to fit into. Sounded cozy. I'm sure someone here can lock for that. I'm not good on searches. Whatever you decide to make, I'm sure your friend will love it because it is from you.
I couldn't find where I commented on a foot pocket, so I'll just comment again. I made a chemotherapy quilt for my sister who was undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer. It had to be done quickly, so it was not very elaborate. I used fleece for the batting/backing. Cut it longer than quilt top and folded it up to form the pockets. I sewed a seam down the middle of the pocket to help the pockets keep their shape. I also installed a zippered pocket on the front of the quilt to hold her cell phone (the zipper kept it within reach and didn't permit it to slide off onto the floor). Also added a pocket on the front to hold a paperback book, as she liked to read. She liked it so well that she used it at home and wherever she traveled. It suited her needs. A quilt can be tailored to fit the hobbies and desired of each person.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:56 AM

Good advice to use flannel as a backing; it won't slide around or slide off the patient.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 AM

I made my SIL a quilt out of batiks in browns and beiges, which are colors that she likes. They blended in with her home furnishings, so that she could use it to keep warm in the house also, after treatments.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:41 AM

I could be completely wrong but when I hear "chemo quilt" I envision some using the quilt while receiving chemotherapy. I recently took a family member to a local oncology practice for infusion (not chemo but nearly everyone else there was receiving chemo). It was on the Tuesday after Christmas. The center was closed on Monday so there were a lot of patients on this particular Tuesday. I assume this treatment facility is arranged like most others. One side of the area was tinted window so it is bright and the area, though large, wasn't crowded. I didn't count, but there are at least 50 "stations" with one recliner for the patient and one side chair for a friend or family member. Because of the holiday this place was packed! My niece said she had never seen it so crowded. Now to the point of my comment: At least 90% of the patients were women. Not that a man wouldn't appreciate a quilt. I saw no "chemo quilts". On one end of the room there is a coffee station, and a table where jigsaw puzzles are worked. To one side of the table there are two warmers. They hold the cotton blankets that are warming and waiting for use by the patients. During our time there my niece asked twice for a warm blanket as it was particularly chilly in the therapy room that day. Looks like I'm in the same boat with Kwiltr. I don't know what a "chemo" quilt is. From my recent experience I don't think it's to be taken litterally as I did! I will be interested to hear your replies to Kwiltr,too.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:54 AM

My cancer blanket/throw was a pattern called Hearts Come Home from a (I think) Buggy Barn patterns. Friends signed it and now I can use it on the back of the sofa. I, also, could not "handle" the pink and the ribbon so was glad to have the houses on mine in prints from the 30's. It came in a matching pillow case. We were given warm blankets at chemo so I did not carry mine to treatment. It was such a thoughtful gift that I still enjoy.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
I could be completely wrong but when I hear "chemo quilt" I envision some using the quilt while receiving chemotherapy. I recently took a family member to a local oncology practice for infusion (not chemo but nearly everyone else there was receiving chemo). It was on the Tuesday after Christmas. The center was closed on Monday so there were a lot of patients on this particular Tuesday. I assume this treatment facility is arranged like most others. One side of the area was tinted window so it is bright and the area, though large, wasn't crowded. I didn't count, but there are at least 50 "stations" with one recliner for the patient and one side chair for a friend or family member. Because of the holiday this place was packed! My niece said she had never seen it so crowded. Now to the point of my comment: At least 90% of the patients were women. Not that a man wouldn't appreciate a quilt. I saw no "chemo quilts". On one end of the room there is a coffee station, and a table where jigsaw puzzles are worked. To one side of the table there are two warmers. They hold the cotton blankets that are warming and waiting for use by the patients. During our time there my niece asked twice for a warm blanket as it was particularly chilly in the therapy room that day. Looks like I'm in the same boat with Kwiltr. I don't know what a "chemo" quilt is. From my recent experience I don't think it's to be taken litterally as I did! I will be interested to hear your replies to Kwiltr,too.
I have no first hand experience in visiting a chemotherapy room/ward. I only have a sense from ready other posts that a blanket or quilt is welcome in these situations for warmth while receiving treatment, but never thought beyond that, so now with it being a little closer to home, wanted to get a better idea of what people do and what might be needed or appreciated before I go off on the wrong path. It appears in this situation, it'll be surgery and radiation, so I'm thinking a quilt to cuddle under at home while recovering will be what I aim for right now. Thank you all for your input.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

A pretty quilt made with love to provide physical warmth and the emotional support is what I would make.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:29 PM

Here is the quilt I made for my friend with here 2nd treatment for breast cancer. She was so happy I didn't make it pink. Her favorite colors are blue and yellow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564676[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	My Quilts 042.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	564676