Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Ideas needed!!! >

Help! Ideas needed!!!

Help! Ideas needed!!!

Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 AM

Our guild makes tote bags for a Shelter for battered women. The post below is the simple construction we use. As for the pockets, we keep it simple and don't do the zipper pocket or no pockets at all. The women are given the tote bag when they arrive at the shelter filled with toiletries that the shelter provides.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t278596.html
Old 01-23-2017, 05:20 AM

Our Senior Center makes tote bags for the Womens Shelter. Very popular since some of them come with a few things in a plastic sack. Placemats for Meals on Wheels.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 AM

Our guild has starting making childrens quilts to be given to children being taken out of their homes. We also did some quilts for older kids that were in a group home for various reasons. Some of the kids came with staff to pick up the quilts - they were very excited that someone would do something like that for them. We've also made quilts and pillow cases for our local Ronald McDonald House.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 AM

Just a quick note: Quilts of Valor is not just for wounded warriors. Please check their website QOVF.org. The foundation covers anyone touched by war. Thank you Linda8450 for including this in the list. Over 150,000 quilts provided but still many more to cover.

Women and children often have to leave home quickly for safely issues so tote bags with hygiene products are always in need. Sadly so are similar items for homeless.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:30 AM

I make pet beds for our local Humane Society. I let them know, that the beds are to go with the dog/cat when they're adopted, I'll make more. I also donate 2 quilts a year for them to raffle or auction off.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:16 AM

Default Dresses for Africa

Originally Posted by margiepc View Post
Help! I belong to a small group of Quilters/Knitters/Crafters at my COA. We want to do some charity work, but we are running out of ideas. We have done quilts, lap robes, hats, etc for babies, pillow cases for veterans, etc., and adult bibs for nursing homes. We are looking for more ideas, but our poor brains are not responding. Any help would be appreciated.
There is a great demand for dresses for little girls in Africa and other countries, just google Dresses for girls in Africa.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:43 AM

Here's another idea. If any of you can get your hands on empty feed bags...the woven poly ones from people who own chickens, horses, livestock, etc. (most people just throw them away), you could make totes for very, very little cost. I've made several of these & they are tough & industrial strength! I use webbing for the handles but instead of buying webbing you can use the left over portion of the bags to use for then handles. That way the only cost involved is your thread & labor. They could be donated to the homeless, men's and ladies shelters, animal shelters, etc. Here's a link to how to make them but there are very many on the www if you just google feed bag totes tutorials:

http://fresheggsdaily.com/2012/01/ma...-bag-tote.html
Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 AM

check with local organizations to see what is needed then select from that list.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 AM

hats, scarves and mittens for homeless shelters
Old 01-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Is there a Cancer Center close to where you are? My Quilt Guild makes a simple cloth bag, similar to a shopping bag for groceries, which we call Cancer Bags. They are brought to our local Cancer Center and given out to new cancer patients, to put all the paper info./ fliers in that they receive at their first visit.