Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Guild Age Limit??? >

Guild Age Limit???

Guild Age Limit???

Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Strange, all this discussion about unruly kids. Children sit in church every Sunday without being unruly.
Great observation.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
Wow!

Within this thread I'm wondering how most of you came to appreciate your love of sewing/quilting? Was it by mirroring what you saw growing up?
Children don't need to go to a guild meeting to learn to appreciate sewing/quilting. I learned the old fashioned way. From my mother.

AZ Jane: Not always.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Strange, all this discussion about unruly kids. Children sit in church every Sunday without being unruly.
I don't find this to necessarily be true either! (Lots of toys, food, and talking/screaming) But I think now a days its unpopular to have expectations for your kids behavior, or tell them they are wrong and correct them, we wouldn't want to damage little Johnny's self esteem, and so whatever they want to do is fine. My house runs on an expectation policy..my granddaughter knows what I expect from her and knows the consequences for deliberate disregard of those expectations. By the same token, I have realistic expectations! ( She is in my care a considerable amount of time) And her parents and I work in harmony. The result? She is a very well behaved, confident 10 yr old who is respectful and conforms to authority.(Respectfully questioning that authority is OK, but generally she knows if we have given someone authority over her, they will get our support). She's in no way perfect, but we trust we will be proud of her in most situations.
I can see your dilemma at your guild meetings, but I'm assuming yours is a paid membership. Disruptive kids and adults need to be dealt with for the benefit of all paid members. I think your person running your meetings needs to be a strong person unafraid of tactfully presenting and enforcing the expectations of the guild. You are never going to please everyone and you may even lose a member or two. I generally find people want to follow the rules if those rules have been clearly presented. And I also think Jr. dues would solve a bunch of issues. Many would find alternate free sitters (Gee, maybe I could leave the baby at sister's or mom's, even though I have to drive an extra 10 minutes to drop off/pick up). And the kids that are really interested would still be welcome. I do think small kids are a risk. I do not want to have to watch my stuff to be sure someone else's kid doesn't get into it, so if a kid is unable to sit still and work on a project of some sort, even if its coloring quilt blocks, they should not be in a room with hot irons, scissors, rotary cutters, etc. and a bunch of people who are concentrating on something else! My 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by AStitchInTime View Post
Not a guild, but another hobby of mine doesn't have an age restriction for members or guests but does states in the By-Laws:

"If children attend meetings they are required to sit quietly with parent or guardian. If guardian cannot control them, they must be removed from the meeting."
This is most reasonable. When my son was about 8 I was taking a daytime statistics class at our local community college. Once when I was without childcare I needed to bring him with me. Missing class was not an option. He managed to sit quietly and entertain himself with an electronic device with headphones. He knew what behavior was expected of him, and lived up to those expectations. In fact, when class was over the instructor voiced an opinion that he wished that some of the young men who sat in the back of the room would behave as well as a 8 year old. Members who need to bring a child to a meeting should be able to make their expectations clear to their children and plan for a quiet entertainment.

As quilters we want to pass our craft on to younger quilters - both young parents and possibly their children. This sometimes means that we may have to show a little patience.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beach quilter View Post
I see more cranky disruptive old people than kids. Prohibit the behavior, not the age.
Yes! I quit one of my guilds because of the behavior of many of the elder members. I told my DDs if I ever became an old biddy tell me to shut up, sit down, and stay my butt at home.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Yes! I quit one of my guilds because of the behavior of many of the elder members. I told my DDs if I ever became an old biddy tell me to shut up, sit down, and stay my butt at home.
LOL Onebyone. I've often told my husband "if I ever act like that, just shoot me"
Old 01-25-2017, 04:49 AM

My desire to quilt some day came about when I was 15. I usually spent 6 weeks with my aunt and uncle in Illinois. My uncle was the preacher at the local church and my aunt belonged to the women's group. She took to with her one day when they were quilting a quilt, they invited me to help. They were surprised by my small stitches and encouraged me. They were working on a Lone Star and it was love at first sight. At the end of the day, once we returned home my aunt gave me a template, some scraps, and a needle and spool of thread, and I was off and running. I ran across that beginning years ago and tossed it. I will begin another one soon hand-pieced and all. Doing so will take me back to those days that summer and memories of my aunt and uncle, who are both long gone.
Before she passed, my aunt knew that I had begun quilting because of that summer.

Such a vivid pleasant memory they gave me.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
If you want to be welcoming and inclusive and still deal well with the kids underfoot problem, I suggest that you have a very clear statement -- "Because our meeting space is limited and we work with potentially dangerous tools, children may not be in the meeting space. Any child brought to the guild meetings will be supervised in a close-by playroom by a paid, certified childcare professional. Please sign up a week in advance for childcare. Day-of availability is not guaranteed and will be an increased cost. The cost per child will be X."

Or you could encourage parents of young kids to form childcare co-ops where they take turns watching kids.

Or if your guild wanted to do it, they could provide free childcare, with guild members taking turns and connecting with a new generation.

I think there are all kinds of ways to reach your goal -- appropriate environment for guild meetings-- without seeming unwelcoming or ageist.
These are all terrific ideas, IMO. May I add that perhaps there are members with a teenager who would like to earn some babysitting cash in another space while mom (or dad) is attending the meeting.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Just checked the guild I attend and in the standing rules it says Minimum age for attendance of meetings must be at least 15 years of age. I don't necessarily agree with that. I think there are a lot of kids who can sew and enjoy meetings at a much younger age, without being disruptive.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:26 PM

Ours has a min of 18, I think. I know it would be no less than 16. NO children are allowed at the meeting, and we do not provide child care. I suppose if we had a nursing mother of a very young infant that did not interfere no one would complain. Our membership is mainly over 50, there are a few in their late 40's.