Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
MSQC/Martinelli mat? >

MSQC/Martinelli mat?

MSQC/Martinelli mat?

Old 01-28-2017, 05:19 AM

I have this and I love it. Mine also came with an ironing pad that you can interchange with the cutting mat on the turntable, but I find that you really don't need to the use the ironing pad with the turntable. It was a bit pricey but worth it to me. Don't remember what I paid. Great for taking to retreats and classes.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 AM

I watched this same video and several times I thought the mat appeared unsteady. It started to turn just as she started her cut. I think it would be tricky to cut on a moving mat. I am anxious to hear how you like yours.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:14 AM

I also have the round Martelli mat and it is far superior to the square one I had. Don't know about the other one they are mentioning.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:32 AM

Wow that is a sneaky trick - bad for Walmart and they probably got lots of complaints. Have a rotating mat, Olfa, and don't use it much but will try to in the future. They say the Martelli mats are number one but that's probably personal preference.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Just watched the new tute, "kindred pinwheels" and Jenny was using a rotating mat by Martinelli. It looked sturdy. I have all the sizes from whomever makes those square rotating ones, and really am not always happy with their performance....So, I thought I'd look into this. Well, did a search, and Walmart carried, but has to be ordered and delivered to store/home for $27.11. At Martinelli website price is $49.99 +s&h.....I think I know where I'm going to order one from! BTW! Anyone here have, do you like?
I LOVE mine!!! Purchased from MSQC when it went on sale. Have been wanting one for a long time because I love Martelli products but didn't want to pay their price. MSQC had the top on sale, so I purchased that then waited until the bottom (rotating part) went on sale at MSQC and purchased that. I can't remember what I paid, but I love it! I, too, had one of those square ones - I had a ton of little HST's to square up and my rotary cutter gouged the mat (this was within the first few times I used it). It's basically unusable now. I have a Martelli large cutting mat which has held up amazingly well, so am assuming their rotating mat will hold up as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:47 AM

I have found that the small yellow mat tends to warp and not lock into the disc on the base. In desperation I held the steam iron ABOVE it and then flexed it. Works great now and I occasionally have to redo it. I haven't needed to do it with the larger mats.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:41 AM

Love, love, love Martelli mats. I have two big ones and, I swear, it seems like they sharpen my blades (also Martelli) as I cut. I know, it isn't so and I do have to rotate out blades but the difference is amazing. Get on their email list and they'll keep you posted with their big sales. They just had one and I bought two new rotary cutters and another mat.

I have the turntable and love that as well but don't like the markings on this one. Since I usually rely on the markings on whatever ruler I am using, that has seldom been a problem AND I can cut sitting down with this baby. I put this turntable one on my Amazon wish list and the kids got it for me! WOW! Makes me wonder who raised them! LOL!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 AM

I use a very old lazy susan turntable which works just fine for the occasions when I need it.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:04 AM

I purchased my 16 inch, 3 piece round Martelli rotating mat at the International Quilt Festival in Houston for $99. It was pricey, but I absolutely love it. It is perfect to take along in the motorhome and doesn't take up much room.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:14 AM

I have the turntable rotating mat along with the ironing surface from Martelli. It comes in 3 parts, the rotating part, the mat part and the ironing surface part. I ordered it through Martelli when they had one of their half-price sales. I LOVE it! It sits to the left of my sewing area on a table. I have used the ironing surface so many times that I wore out the cover, so I took it apart and used it as a pattern to make a new one (from pre-quilted fabric). I've just about worn it out too, so I'm about ready to make another cover. When cutting, just lift off the ironing cover. If I'm only cutting small pieces, I just use one of those small mats on top of my ironing surface. You can't go wrong with this set, but you might want to wait for their 1/2 price sale....