Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finish a king quilt? >

Finish a king quilt?

Finish a king quilt?

Old 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM

Have you done the border all the way around, and do you have a good amount of extra fabric in your backing on all four edges? If so, a LAer might take it on. I have a LA, and seems like it would work. But you do need enough backing on at least two opposite sides for the quilt to be attached to the leaders on the LA. (And, even if you don't have enough, you can always add a length of other fabric to the backing to extend it.)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 PM

I've bookmarked this to hopefully help me when I come to quilting my next quilt. About halfway down the page, she shows how she divides the quilt into quadrants and quilts each section before doing the next.

https://stitchfancy.wordpress.com/20...ewing-machine/
Old 01-30-2017, 05:47 PM

Yes I did the border all the way around. I pinned about every 2 inches on the whole quilt.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Oh thanks for the link!!! I'll seperate the 4 sections and then quilt in straight lines. Last time I did stippling I don't think I had my tension right Cuz a few years later the quilting is coming out
Old 01-30-2017, 07:03 PM

I don't know how to help you with your present problem, but I'm working on a King sized quilt right now & I've broken the pattern into thirds. That makes it easier to quilt, & when done I'll put it together like a quilt as you go. This won't help you this time, but perhaps it will help you for future quilts. Best of luck with your present situation.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Perhaps you can find someone who has a sit-down machine such as a Sweet 16 or Tiara. We don't "load" the quilt so we could work on the inside even though the borders are done. I would do quilting that is not continuous so if the back shifts a little, it will be less of a problem. Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
If I'd spent 3 years on that quilt, I'd take out the border quilting and take it to a long armer.

If I understand how they do it, you need to take it to them in pieces (top, backing and batting separate). They load the backing on the frame first and then someway add the batting and top.

I'm taking a class this spring, so I'll know more later.

bkay
bKay is exactly right and if you take out the stitches on the border quilting AND there is enough extra back and batting on all sides of the top, then a long arm quilter will certainly quilt it. if you do decide to go that route, work from the back to take out those stitches--it's usually easier plus not as likely to accidently catch a seam.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 AM

Wouldn't I have to take out all the pins too?
Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 AM

I would leave them in until you discuss it with whoever you find to quilt it. The LAer may want to take them out him/her-self, as it gets loaded. If you find someone with a sit-down, they would still need the quilt to be basted.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 AM

I would take it to a LA, let her look at it and ask her advise. My LA gives me free advise any time I need help and that's why I use her exclusively.