Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracking >

Tracking

Tracking

Old 02-04-2017, 12:28 AM

I have not kept track either. For the most part when I am going to make something it is going to be a gift. I try not to buy for a stash anymore unless it is black (which I seem to be using a lot lately) and a good sturdy white fabric for my embroidery items. I have a lot of fabric and have figured out that it seems that when I buy blenders, they are just a shade off, so stopped it. I can't seem to give up all that I do have, but love to share with others. A friend and I share back and forth when we need various things because we both have so much in reserve.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:30 AM

Yes, I do keep track of my expenditures. It is a mind game for me. I have a notebook to record all I spend. I also keep track of how much I spend in the grocery store. I keep track of my loyalty savings, coupon redemption and savings at the gas pump. I contrast that to quilt expenditures. Last yeas I was only fifty dollars more for quilting expenditures that store savings. Why do I do it? I don't know because I certainly don't have to. It is just a game of the mind. I have done it for several years. It is quite a sum of money when all added up but it does reflect how much this hobby costs.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:17 AM

I track what I spend in a marble notebook. It is fun to see how my quilt $$ are spent. I started it 3 year ago. I may miss a few but have a good general idea. Much of mine are experiences-----retreat---quilt show----guild membership and classes.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 AM

I definitely don't want to keep track of my spending as it might scare me. But I do keep track of the amount I have on certain fabrics that I use alot of such as some of Connecting Threads collections. Also keep track of which ones are being discontinued as well as their threads as i use them exclusively on my quilting. I try to keep 3 spools of each color and 7 if its a color I use a lot. Then when I go to their sight I have a list what I need to reorder.

Otherwise I don't really want to know how much stash I have down here........SCARY!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:02 AM

I consider my stash moderate and try to keep my purchases project specific. While I do have some scraps from leftover projects, I only have a few precuts to track and some children's prints that I am constantly into for baby quilts.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:04 AM

Well...no I don't keep track of the amount of my inventory here at home. My hubby would probably have medical issues if I were to do that - that is, if he found the paperwork! lol -
Old 02-05-2017, 05:07 AM

I shudder to think of what it all costs. That said, the only way I would track would be if I tried to sell quilts, which I know from experience that I can't make money on quilts. Too long a time and too expensive fabrics. Anyway, I just enjoy my hobby. It's more enjoyable for me to give away a gift than to sell a product.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:01 AM

I keep track of everything I spend, whether it's on my hobbies or at the grocery store. I don't care that the money is gone. I just want to know where it went. Something I have done since forever, just in case I have to cut back. I want to know where the extraneous money is going. So while I have spent an enormous amount of money on this hobby, I also get an enormous amount of pleasure and satisfaction. Money is only good for the stuff you can exchange it for, i.e. food, shelter, clothing..... and hobbies ! That's my story and I am sticking to it !!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:39 AM

Why bother? It's a hobby and YOUR fun. If it's not cutting into other bills, savings schedules or mortgage etc?
Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 AM

Don't do it. It would be too scary!