Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations for first longarm >

Recommendations for first longarm

Recommendations for first longarm

Old 03-25-2017, 03:30 PM

Not a true longarm, but I purchased a 15" Bailey Home Quilter with a stitch regulator. I really like it since it is what I could afford and since I don't quilt for other people, it fits my needs well. The only problem is the height of the harp doesn't allow me to do quilts more than 80" wide. And even that is a real stretch. But for a machine that costs less around $2,000.00 new, I felt it was a real bargain.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:34 AM

I have an unbranded Tin Lizzie on the majestic 12 ft frame from grace frames. It has been a great machine. It was a gift so I really had no say in much of it. One day I would like to upgrade to an Innova with at least a 26" harp but being retired on a fixed income it is not likely to happen.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:47 AM

I agree with PaperPrincess on waiting to go to AQS in Grand Rapids. Not only is every long arm there but they have show specials. I purchased my Handi-Quilter Avante at a quilt show and saved a couple thousand plus no shipping.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:57 AM

Quilt show is a great place to test drive the different brands. It is also helpful to have a dealer that is available for you should the need arise. I have been through the HandiQuilter 16 - which I purchased used for the purpose of learning and to see if this was the direction in which I wanted to go. Then a used HandiQuilter Avante 18 became available - so I moved up and learned a bit more. Last fall a HandiQuilter Fusion came on the market from a dealer so I purchased that one - I am so very pleased with the performance of all the HandiQuilter machines. The dealer that I purchased the machine from is about an hour away - but it is worth the drive to her neat quilt shop. She was excellent in setting up the machine and she is very good about assistance if needed over the phone. Good luck - I enjoy using a quilting machine - it makes it possible to create quilts and put them to use instead of accumulating them in a pile to be hand quilted. Sew them up - quilt them, use and love all those beautiful quilts.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:22 AM

I purchased a Bailey last year and I'm still in the practice stage. (I need to get more sandwiches made) but so far I really like it, I do a sit down and use the Machingers as anyone on QB will agree they are a great help!!! I only looked for a machine on line and since all the others were well over $2000 I went with the cheapest priced model on the market. I'm very pleased with it...I have the 20" model so I think I have enough room under the harp to do a king size quilt...I will find out one of these days!!!But my purchase with this model was due to the fact that I am nowhere near having a 'showcase' quilt. That's ok by me...I just want to make quilts that get used! There isn't one bell or whistle with this machine but it's sturdy and with the table I paid just under $2700. But I would very much buy every bell and whistle if I thought I would use them. Again, this suits my needs and my quilts are not masterpiece works of art! Good luck in your search and let us know what you decided upon. Some of the ladies here have some nice machines...check them out!!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 AM

My suggestion is to try different machines at a quilt show if you can. After you decide on your brand of machine, I would buy the biggest machine and frame that I could afford and had room for. All of my friends that bought small machines have upgraded to a bigger machine. The higher price of the machine is the "whistles and bells" you add on.

I have a Gammill with stitch regulator (LOVE LOVE LOVE that). Not computerized. I see other machine brands that I might like, but I don't know any brand that can beat the Gammill frame!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:05 AM

There are many used machines out there and some are at LongArm University. I talked to one group in your area and they have you come for one day of complete lessons and then you stay and take the machine down with their help. I so wish I had bought one from them instead of my HQ Avante.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:38 AM

Bought my Block Rockit in Paducah. What helped me the most was having a friend who owns a much more expensive machine give her seal of approval to the smaller and less expensive machine. She took me from booth to booth and agreed that the price of less than $5000 for a 15 inch harp was great and that the machine had all of the features plus a smooth drivability that I would need. If you happen to buy from Lynn and Kathy, tell them I sent you! The are nice enough to give me a $100 for the referral even though that you is not at all why I am making the recommendation. My main point is to take a friend with you that understands machines.

Ps I have had my machine about 18 months and still am very happy with it!