Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking Qnique advice >

Seeking Qnique advice

Seeking Qnique advice

Old 04-09-2017, 01:45 PM

Thank you all, your comments are all very helpful. I didn't know about the Blockit and that's very appealing. I think I'll talk to this local dealer and see if he will match any of her offers. Otherwise, Kathy will have another sale on the books! I have to talk to my hubby some more and if we can swing the larger frame; I think I'll be happier with it in the end. I'll put up a post when the deal is done.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:44 PM

Major caveat! I'm not familiar with either the Q'nique or the BlockRockit other than the ads in magazines. But I do have a Gammill Classic Pro, 14' frame and bought used. I often quilt queen size quilts and don't think you can reasonably do that without having to quilt in sections on a frame smaller than a 10' one. Also, Gammill has a really blah website! And their "chat room" is not anything to brag about. But I do find that the dealer is VERY responsive to my calls for help when I have a tension, etc problem and will send me to the factory tech support if there's anything they can't walk me though. So I agree with others that the webpage and FB are not the most important issue with presence of the company. Good luck--I love quilting I think even more than I do piecing!
Old 04-10-2017, 02:25 AM

Leah Day just recently started posting and doing tutorials on her Qnique...you might check out her blog/page.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:56 AM

I bought my Q'nique almost 2 years ago after seeing a BRI demo at a quilt show and trying it out myself. I searched online and found both Q'nique and BRI are manufactured by The Grace Company. I located a local dealer and bought my Q'nique from the store. However, the dealer support was very disappointing so I ended up working directly with The Grace Company. The employees there have been very supportive, and it turned out a couple problems were due to computer boards which have been replaced with newer models. I enjoy using my Q'nique very much.

Prior to this, I had a short arm machine before I used Bailey (17 inches) for three years. I decided to upgrade to Q'nique. No regrets there.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

A 14 in throat opening seems very small to me. If possible I would get a 22 in. or atleast 18. I agree it would be nice to get a 10 or even 12 foot frame.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
A 14 in throat opening seems very small to me. If possible I would get a 22 in. or atleast 18. I agree it would be nice to get a 10 or even 12 foot frame.
The 14-inch throat space works perfectly since I am vertically challenged The short arm machine I had before was 9 inches and that was quite challenging to use, but with creative dovetailing, it worked fine. The frame I have is 10 foot and it works great for me.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:36 AM

I don't know this machine but my advise applies to all. I would buy the largest throat space I can afford. If you buy 14" throat you will not have enough room to complete a panoto pattern (as an example). The reason is; the more you advance the quilt on the frame the less room you will have for quilting space. Talk to you dealer about this so you will better understand what I am referring to.

I have a 12' frame and it will handle a King quilt, but I am at the very end of my leaders. If the quilt is any larger, it will not fit. That is something to consider when you choose the length of your frame. If you will n-e-v-e-r quilt anything bigger than a Queen, it is a great size. Many people like their smaller machines.

Long story short, I purchased the largest frame that would fit in my house and the widest throat I could physically handle. (My throat is 26"). Good luck with your decision and happy quilting. Just remember, practice, practice, practice to get control of the machine. There is a learning curve. Don't give up.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:37 PM

In November 2016, three of us bought the BlockRockit with SR2 frame from Kathy's Quilts while at a show in Tucson AZ. Within a very short period of time, two had computer board failures. The Grace Company which makes the machine (same as Q'nique) had the machines picked up, repaired and returned immediately, at their expense. I was naturally worried maybe we'd bought lemons. In many discussions with both the Grace Company and Kathy's Quilts, my concerns have been resolved. Their customer service is exemplary and I'd buy another one at any time. Don't let the inexpensive price deter you. I love my machine/setup and hate to have to leave it until I come back from Oregon in the fall to use!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:00 AM

First of all, Gracie company has a great reputation and they promote the qnique. I was checking them out after watching Leah Day's website. She used to say she'd never quilt on anything other than a domestic but every Sunday she is now doing tutorials on this machine. Hers is a sit down, mine would be too when I can afford to buy it. The machine can be made for a sit down or a stand up frame. Check out Leah's Day site or you tube she's been doing.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:43 AM

I've had a Qnique for about a year. I really like it. I bought it through Kens sewing center (not local), because their price was lower than directly from Grace. I've just gone directly to Grace when I've had a question. They are wonderful to work with and readily available by phone. Not having a local dealer has not been a problem at all. I highly recommend the Qnique.

Solomae
Cuddlecatquiltworks.etsy.com