Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it already vacation time? >

Is it already vacation time?

Is it already vacation time?

Old 05-13-2017, 04:00 PM

I'm originally from Massachusetts, so I thought I'd share my favorite place there as well as where I live now.

In Lowell you can visit the National Park https://www.nps.gov/lowe/index.htm I spent my live looking at these old mills that at the time were run down. I am so happy they have created the National Park and preserved the history of the "mill girls". Oh, there are quilts there

I also love Rockport, MA which is a beautiful, small town in Cape Ann - the other cape. It is above Boston. There you can walk through town and visit all the little shops, ice cream shops, Top Dog for a hotdog or Roy Moore's for a lobsta or some chowda, smoked salmon, clams. You can sit out back on the fish crates to eat the goodies while the seagulls hope you will drop something. Stop in all the artists shops to see some beautiful paintings or photos and of course you can't miss the most often photographed spot - Motif One. http://www.rockportusa.com/arts/motif-no-1/
Now you will certainly need something sweet, so head off to Tucks and check out the chocolates, taffy and fudge - MMMM Good! There is also a cupcake café where the treats are incredible!

Next door is Gloucester MA where you can walk along the waterway and see famous statues https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/maritime/glo.htm and watch the fishermen go out to sea. Remember the movie " The Perfect Storm" ? Ok, you can drive by or stop in the Crow's Nest. Great shops in Gloucester and good eats. Must have the Chowda and Lobsta.

Ok, so that was "back home". Here where I live now, if you were to visit I would first suggest going to see what MSN.com today called "one of the most hated landmarks", our government center in Goshen, NY. What a disaster that thing is as well as an eye sore. Of course not everyone agrees with that last statement or it would have been torn down after hurricane Sandy. But while you are there, you can visit the famous Goshen trotter museum across the street and eat at Lemoncello's.

After that I would suggest visiting SUNY Orange's Morrison Hall Mansion where you can see the states oldest and one of the most beautiful campuses. I am a bit biased as I'm retiring this month from teaching there for 31 years The mansion is amazing with Tiffany window and lighting and amazing bathrooms for the turn of the 1900's. Oh, you can also see Sugar, our mastodon in the BT building. And if you could get there on the 18th, you could join the star gazing evening atop the new Rowley center where two of our professors will have a giant telescope set up and tell us all about the wonderful planets and stars

The next day I would suggest going to New Paltz where you can see a quaint college town that is somewhat stuck in the 60's. There's a great restaurant there, a walking path - rail to trail and cute shops. Then we'd take a short ride to Mohonk Mountain House https://www.mohonk.com/?nck=gbetri&g...FdBLDQodi8EJsg where one can take a stroll, or eat in one of the restaurants. OR we could to the Mountain Bauhaus in Gardner http://www.mountainbrauhaus.com/ to have some German food. But don't forget your binoculars so you can watch the climbers on the world famous "Gunks".

Perhaps tomorrow we can take the Metro North into Hoboken, NJ and hop the Path into Manhattan.....

For now, have a good nights rest because we haven't even hopped over to visit my favorite quilt shops in PA !
Old 05-13-2017, 04:02 PM

You simply must come to see me! I live in the greenest state. If you drive 100 miles east, you will be able to go skiing, and playing in the snow year round. If you drive 100 miles west, you can walk on the the beach at Newport, Oregon, where you can enjoy Madame Tusaud's wax museum, and the Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum, and walk on the beach. If you drive 100 miles north of me, you can visit the fabulous city of Portland, OR where they have Voodoo Donuts, beautiful parks to blow your mind, a zoological garden where they have become world wide experts in the breeding of elephants, go to the grotto (a natural cathedral in the cliff side) and ride the elevator to the top and enjoy a Panoramic view of the Columbia River Goege as in runs between Oregon and Washington state. Portland prides itself in having mass transit (bus, train, trolley) to reach nearly everything.
In my little town and area we have seven old style covered bridges, a mountaintop viewing area to see nearly all of the Willamette Valley in all her glory, especially in late spring early summer, fishing nearly everywhere, and a very polite police force.
We are fortunate to have a large quilting population nearby, so there are quilt shops all around us within a one hour drive of less Ievery community, my personal favorite is "Finally Together" right here in Lebanon, Oregon. Our weather is wonderful, but if you don't like it right now, give it 10minutes, it will change.
The best thing to me, is that we are a mornings drive from Sisters, Oregon and the spectacular quilt show!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:41 PM

You simply must come to see me! I live in the greenest state. If you drive 100 miles east, you will be able to go skiing, and playing in the snow year round. If you drive 100 miles west, you have Newport, Oregon, where you can enjoy "Madame Tussaud's" wax museum, and the "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" museum, and walk on the beach, and some of the best seafood you will ever find, and even a ship in the marina turned into a restaurant.
If you drive 100 miles north of me, you can visit the fabulous city of Portland, OR where they have Voodoo Donuts, the largest variety of craft beers, a variety of beautiful city parks (to go for a beautiful quiet walk in the trees, to feed the ducks, play baseball, swim, or just spread a blanket and read), a zoological garden where they have become world wide experts in the breeding of elephants (and a tram so you don't have to, but you can walk the miles to see it all), go to "The Grotto" (a natural cathedral with a replica of Michelangelos "The Pieta" in ta natural arched formation in a cliff side) and ride the elevator to the top and enjoy a panoramic spectacular view of the Columbia River Goege that runs between Oregon and Washington state in a glass room. Portland prides itself in having mass transit (bus, train, trolley) to reach nearly everything.
In my little town and area we have seven old style covered bridges, a mountaintop viewing area to see nearly all of the Willamette Valley in all her glory, especially in late spring early summer, fishing nearly everywhere, and a very polite police force., and on August 21, 2017 we will be in an area to see the complete solar eclipse! (at 9:04 am. I am so excited! )
We are fortunate to have a large quilting population nearby, so there are quilt shops all around us within a one hour drive of less Ievery community, my personal favorite is "Finally Together" right here in Lebanon, Oregon. Our weather is wonderful, but if you don't like it right now, give it 10minutes, it will change.
The best thing to me, is that we are a mornings drive from Sisters, Oregon and the spectacular quilt show!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:45 PM

Please excuse first post, I accidentally touched the submit button on touchscreen To early before I was done writing. Second one is complete. Sorry.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Isn't the Delaware River beautiful. It is the exact opposite of the rivers of the west where white water rafting is the main event. The Delaware is inviting you to slow down, relax and drift downstream and recharge your soul.

We also have the best ice cream in PA/NJ at the OWOWCOW stores. Look them up!

I just remembered there are two small baseball clubs not far away, The Iron Pigs in historic Bethlehem PA and the Trenton Thunder in the state capital, NJ.

Unfortunately there are no fabric shops near me. The closest is about 40 miles away and my favorite is 70 miles away.

peace
ube...if you're close enough, there is Pennington Quilt Works in Pennington, NJ and Olde City Quilts in Burlington, NJ. Both lovely shops. Then, of course, there are all the shops in Lancaster, PA. Definitely a hike but well worth it if you're looking to make a fabric haul!
Old 05-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Miriam,
Just want to say "tell your Mom happy birthday" from all of us on the quilt board! Hope you're enjoying this virtual vacation!
Old 05-15-2017, 06:52 PM

A vacation must is California. I am lucky to live in the middle of the state..the state is very long 8 hours drive to the north border and 7 hours to the south border.

If you come in the spring you would be able to see and array of blossoms from Almonds, peaches, apples, cherries, plums and many other. Come in April enjoy local strawberries, May - Oct enjoy all the fruits that bloomed in the spring and all kinds of grapes and vegetables. Best place to buy these delicious fruits are at the roadside stands of which there are many.

20 minute drive take you to mennonitequiltcenter.org. It is a LQS. it has a show room upstairs that feature local quilters. In one corner of the store jeans are cut into strips and made into rugs by retired men who volunteer. On Monday morning local women come and hand quilt on a frame in the store. It is an arm of a nonprofit Mennonite Central Committee that does relief work around the world.

A few hrs drive East are the Giant Redwood trees, my home town of Sanger is the National Christmas tree city..every Christmas a wreath is placed at General Grant tree in honor of the fallen solders.

A few hours North and you are at Yosemite National Park, the falls are best in Spring and Summer. Three hours West and you are at the Pacific Ocean, beautiful beaches. Three hours SE and you would be in Mojave Dessert.

30 minute drive takes you to Old town Clovis. Quilters' Paradise is just that and Clovis has many antique stores, first week in April is the famous Rodeo.

10 minute drive on Hwy 180 takes you to School House Restaurant, an old school remodeled into a quaint eating place among the orchards.

Fresno is home to one of the largest Hmong community, they hold a week long celebration starting December 26, people come from all over for this great cultural feast.

Of course, we also have the rivers, lakes, beautiful mountains.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
ube...if you're close enough, there is Pennington Quilt Works in Pennington, NJ and Olde City Quilts in Burlington, NJ. Both lovely shops. Then, of course, there are all the shops in Lancaster, PA. Definitely a hike but well worth it if you're looking to make a fabric haul!
Yes, both these shops are very nice but quite a hike for me.

My favorite quilt shop is in Kutztown, Pa. The Wooden Bridge Drygoods. Not quite as far as the Lancaster area but packed to overflowing with fabric and reasonable $. It is positioned on a farm and you can see trout in the water under the bridge and cows and horses everywhere.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

I am an East TN. girl. I live in the beautiful mountains. Big South Fork National Park here, and go further east and you have The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. In both white water rafting, hiking, lots of restaurants of every culture. Places offer everything from renting log cabins to mountain Chateaus. 25 minutes from me is a winery with an underground tour. Many historic museums, Dolly Wood, and so many water works theme parks etc. of every kind. There are quilt showings in DollyWood, and some of the best of all kinds of entertainment. Knoxville Tn. has night clubs with entertainers from around the world. Then go west to Nashville TN. Nuff said there. lol...Lots of wild life through out the state. Horse back riding, etc. This is about 1/20 th of what is here, and everyone is friendly. We have average homes of every type, and some of the most expensive homes in the world.