Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding with double fold bias >

binding with double fold bias

binding with double fold bias

Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
It's hideous stuff. I was in Tenn. during their "200 mile long yard sale" one August, which spanned across the state. I stopped at someone's booth that had otherwise beautiful quilts, but they had used that ugly tape to bind every single one! It just ruined the quilts.

I would make some nice binding for the quilt and send the binding tape back to the lady who gave it to you. Just tell her you couldn't bear to use it!

Ask yourself this: Have you ever seen it on a quilt in a quilt show? Me neither.
I had to laugh at how you described it as hideous! I'm going to be totally honest--- I've used it on about three quilts now! I wouldn't say I love it, or it's the worlds greatest thing since sliced bread, but I have used it without a bad result. Granted, I've never seen it in a quilt show either. But I make my quilts for family and home use only. I know it's cheap and probably extra lazy of me, but "oh well!"
Old 06-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I have used this type product before and I just opened it all the way, fold it in half down the length and press it. Treat it just like regular binding. Now you have bias binding done the way it would be done from your own material.

Sew the raw edges of the binding to the edge of the quilt with 1/4" seam. Do the corners the same way any corner is done.

Connect the ends with whatever method you like.

Roll binding to the back/ front and hand or machine finish.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:29 AM

Bias is cut at a 45 degree angle rather than straight across WOF. Most of the time you would not need it for quilting projects. The need arises when doing curves (think about a T-shirt neckline or armhole). The advantage is that the bias stretches. This would be helpful on making round placemats or centerpieces. If you pin the bias to your ironing board in a circle and press it, the curve will remain and makes it a lot easier to attach. As far as using packaged double fold bias trim on quilting projects, it is ok to use as is on 'thin' items like placemats. It becomes difficult on thicker quilt sandwiched items. And, it is a lot more expensive than making your own.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
I want to thank all who took the time to try to help me. After I got over my "duh" moment, I played with the wide binding this morning and lo and behold it will work perfectly to apply it just as I do my more narrow binding that I make myself. Don't know why I sometimes make things harder than they actually are. Quilt is quilted and I will now settle down and stitch the binding on (as I normally do).
Isn't it wonderful to have quilting friends to share their ideas and help with our problems?
Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Not my preference but I've used wrights double fold on clothing and accessories. There are 2 options.2 step- Open it stitch Dow on the small fold line, wrap the folded bias to the back and stitch fro the front.one step- The other is glue baste it folded over the edge then stitch. It's folded much like satin binding. The "back" edge is a little longer than the front so you'll catch the back when stitching the edge of the front. Here's a you tube that's pretty good with both. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r_XMeOG3_9c
Old 06-02-2017, 08:54 AM

So glad it worked out for you. Good thing to know though.
Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
I want to thank all who took the time to try to help me. After I got over my "duh" moment, I played with the wide binding this morning and lo and behold it will work perfectly to apply it just as I do my more narrow binding that I make myself. Don't know why I sometimes make things harder than they actually are. Quilt is quilted and I will now settle down and stitch the binding on (as I normally do).
Old 06-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Glad you got it figured out.....
Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 PM

I've been using it for a lot of my quilts lately. I like it. I can find the exact color that matches without me doing a lot of extra work.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:20 AM

I have done this several times with good results.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:05 PM

Not cheap or lazy! It's just one way of accomplishing binding. I tried it and couldn't make it behave for me, so abandoned it.