Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Storage and a Sloping Ceiling >

Storage and a Sloping Ceiling

Storage and a Sloping Ceiling

Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you don't have a design wall, I might cover the bins with the drop clothes and put flannel on the back for sticking up blocks.
You just gave me a great idea. I have some fabric bins that aren't the greatest color. My mind moved from mini design wallls on the side that shows(when they are in a cubby) to making twelve by twelve blocks for those ends to spruce them up. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

We have a small wall with double doors.

My Quilt Studio "under" the rafters.

I also have some short book cases now against the wall where there are no doors.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 06-20-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Ooooohhh...good idea! Another clever way to make use of a miniscule amount of space. Thanks!

~ C
I thought of something in the middle of the night...I can't flip these panels to display the flannel because the top line is angled. However, I COULD put the pretty flannel on the outside and the canvas on the inside. I love this idea!

~ C
Old 06-20-2017, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
We have a small wall with double doors.

My Quilt Studio "under" the rafters.

I also have some short book cases now against the wall where there are no doors.
That's a wonderful room! I would love to build that section of wall in and have wooden doors. However, my husband has enough to do right now and I don't think that it will ever happen...not in this lifetime. ;-)

~C
Old 06-20-2017, 04:20 PM

I started out with open book cases and some of my fabric faded from the sun. I had to throw a bunch away. Also, I used to smoke and the color from the smoke didn't wash out. I wasted a lot of batting and fabric. Now, I don't smoke and have doors on my fabric storage. Works much better. You mentioned tall windows, so fading could be a problem. I saw a posting where she used PVC pipe for rods on a curved wall, but I don't remember where I saw it. Sorry. The idea of lining with flannel for a display wall is a good one.
Sue
Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 PM

The house I grew up in was built in 1923 and 2 of the bedrooms had sloping ceilings. In the front bedroom the previous owner made that wall a closet. (Wish I had pictures to share - but we no longer own the house.) The closet was the full length of the wall - and was so long and the ceiling was low - there was one small door at one end, so my dad put in sliding doors in the middle along with a couple of lights.

A couple years ago I was watching one of those shows that renovated what they called wasted space. They did about the same thing my dad did, but they put in shelving too.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 AM

That looks great. Good solution.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 AM

I like your idea and I think it would work great.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

I hear you about your hubby having no time. I think in that case I would go for running a rod, electrical metal pipes and put curtains on it. KInd of a fake wall. I might else even consider card board that I would put up with bins behind it. I would store my fabric organized in large plastic bins and pull them out as needed. Seeing all the stuff would drive me crazy. We live in socal, low humidity, but all my fabric has done really well in plastic bins.