Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron Stupdity >

Iron Stupdity

Iron Stupdity

Old 06-25-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I was using my Oliso and needed more room on the board. So I set it down on the carpeted floor thinking the feet would hold it up. Well, not soon enough. It made the carpet rough and crispy in the seconds it took for the feet to come out and raise up the iron.
Stupid.
Legs on Oliso are like mine - Short.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:22 PM

My problem was that one of my kids who was helping clean and decorate the basement for a graduation party set my cold, full of water iron flat on my beautiful maple sewing machine cabinet in my out of the way sewing room. Three days later when I could get back to it, I had a nice iron shaped, bubbled finish on my cabinet. I was sick about that...the finish peeled and peeled until the iron shape was raw wood. It is still that way 8 years later. In fact, my son and I were just talking about it the other night when he was visiting with me as I sewed. He now claims that he took down the ironing board, and his ditzy girlfriend at the time must have set the iron there.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:11 PM

You know how you rely on the auto shut off to work when you pieced then iron then piece, ....? Ever since my iron started smoking while I was sewing some pieces, I turn off the power strip when I am done ironing. Yes, I have to wait for the iron to warm up, but at least it won't start smoking while I am piecing. (Yes, I bought a new iron that is a different brand )
Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 PM

I heard a hint long ago that I've used ever since. Plug your iron and a light (I use the Ott lite next to my ironing board) both into a power strip. Use the on/off on the power strip to turn the light/iron on and off. That way you always know if you turned your iron off. If the light is on, the iron is on. It's worked for me!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
In retrospect, the iron was cold when I had set it down on the floor - but apparently I had not clicked it to the "off" setting the last time I used it - so when I set it down flat on the carpet - it heated up. So -

I will start to unplug the iron when I leave the area. Even though it is a bother to do so.
I have to crawl under the ironing board to do so.
I put my power strips on the wall so I don't have to crawl under the tables anymore.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM

If I had to "crawl" under anything to unplug something, I'd be in real trouble, first I probably couldn't get down, and if I ever got down, I'd never get back up. I still think the outlet strips (with a switch) is the best solution. My iron is auto-shut-off, too, but if you pick it up or move it, it will come back on. Since I don't have the outlet strip, I pull the plug -- fire is just too devastating to risk it!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 PM
Power Poster

i'm really glad you didn't get burned Bear. Accidents do happen from time to time to the best of us. I always unplug my lights and my iron every time I leave the house or go to bed. I don't trust the plug in lights. I also never leave my toaster plugged in.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 AM
Banned

You can diminish that "crispy" spot by rubbing gently with some coarse sandpaper.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I will start to unplug the iron when I leave the area. Even though it is a bother to do so.
I have to crawl under the ironing board to do so.
Bear, get yourself one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Woods-Indoor-...ds=cord+switch

It's an outlet that has a switch on a long cord - I have this for a few things in my house. I mount the switch someplace handy with a Command strip, usually can find a nice hidden spot for it. No more crawling around to unplug stuff!

Glad it was just a "lesson" and not a full-on disaster! *whew*!