snail trail? >

snail trail?

snail trail?

Old 07-01-2017, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes think Jenny Doan's motto is "Done is better than perfect."
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I just watched Jenny from Missouri Star quilt company do a tutorial on the snail trail quilt block, I was wondering how hard this quilt is. I need quilt for a Wedding that is in four weeks. Do you think I could get this quilt done by them?

It looks easy but then when Jenny does any quilt it looks easy, haha..It looks like it is put together like a log cabin block as you keep adding to all sides. There doesn't look like there are a lot of seams to match just the four patch. What are your thoughts on this. Should I make this quilt or look for a different one. I could spend a lot of time sewing as no one is around just me so can sew as much as I want ..Thanks
You have already used up one of those days since starting this thread. Have you bought your fabric? Will you be doing the quilting on it, the binding? Will you wash the quilt before presenting it? How long do you estimate for each of those steps. If you intend to hire someone else to do the quilting, it may be a good idea to quiz that person on what their schedule is. A lot of longarmmers are bogged down right now with last-minute orders to prepare a quilt to display in the county fair.
Have you sewn one block and timed yourself from cutting to square-up? How many blocks will this quilt need?
Years ago when I married, an older friend told me that with wedding gifts, you could take up to a year to present an item to the couple.
Disappearing four-patch is an eye-catching pattern, which I have seen in a rich brown and soft caramel colors.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:32 AM

Jenny from MSQC has video's on many many easy quick quilts. I would pick on and get going--by the way, if it isn't finished for the wedding, so what--they probably won't take it on the honeymoon, and then you can get if finished while they are gone. lol I recently made a Judy Martin log cabin quilt the my DGD's shower and wedding gift--it took me 6 months to make and turned out to be the most difficult quilt pattern in the book. That will teach me to ask my daughter what pattern she liked--me too--and not read the statement with the pattern. The quilt was queen sized and had set-in seams in each corner of 196 blocks. I got pretty good at set-in seams by the time I was done. All of the fabric came from my stash and the quilt was blue and cream. My sweet GGD kept asking when they would get her "blanket" (5 years old) So cute.
Sue
Old 07-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I am planning to try Jenny's method for the snail trail. One of the keys is to sort the pieces and make neat stacks to keep yourself organized. Not sure if it is a pattern I would rush through though.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
Just about ANY quilt can be done in that time. The real question is how much time do you have to devote to piecing, quilting and binding a quilt over the next four weeks?

Just viewed that tutorial you referred to, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwM...EF21A981F69C28, and the final block looked a little choppy to me. I've made this quilt before and never remember it being so...not smooth.

If you have the time to devote to this quilt, I recommend you find a different pattern for it. It can be a beautiful quilt that's smooth. Maybe this one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIu-HnS_oQ

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you so much, I tried making one block from the tutorial that Jenny put on you tube and as you said it came out chopping and not smooth, so will try the tutorial that you put on here ..

as far as time goes I can sew and quilt all day as long as my body holds out.. no one here asking for dinner or anything.. thanks again
Old 07-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Default snail trail

I followed the directions from Jenny's tutorial very carefully and this is what the block came out like. It is not smooth like I would like it to be. Unless I did something wrong, but I was very careful and looking at the quilt hanging up behind her, her blocks look the same as mine. I will try a different tutorial or look for a different quilt pattern to make for the wedding' Thanks everyone for you input on this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1772.JPG
Views:	1397
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	575634  
Old 07-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

I did one quite a few years ago when it was still called Monkey Wrench. It seemed fairly easy.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:06 PM

There is a 12" free pattern available here. I think it must be the size of the triangles on the MSQC one that makes it look a little choppy (looks okay if you squint)
http://quilterscache.com/M/MonkeyWrenchBlock.html
Old 07-01-2017, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
There is a 12" free pattern available here. I think it must be the size of the triangles on the MSQC one that makes it look a little choppy (looks okay if you squint)
http://quilterscache.com/M/MonkeyWrenchBlock.html
Thank you for the pattern thimbleburg6000, I printed it off and will give it a try...
Old 07-01-2017, 09:38 PM

I'd get something else for the wedding. Then give them the quilt for the 1 yr anniversary.