Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Fashion Bias Binding - Never Done That >

Old Fashion Bias Binding - Never Done That

Old Fashion Bias Binding - Never Done That

Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Tartan always gives the best advise.......she knows everything. I vote we keep her, and I am sending her balloons.

Last edited by Jane Quilter; 07-05-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:21 AM

I agree with the others, Tartan's advice regarding Anka's Treasures is spot on! She also has great print out on how to cut bias binding on her site. I pull it out every time I need to cut on the bias.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Post 2, 6, 8 & 9, all great information.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:15 AM

You must cut the binding on the bias when going around curves. It will make life much easier for you. Check out a tutorial on how to make bias binding. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:30 AM

My 100plus year old quilts with curved edges (from my grandmother and aunts) like you show have hand applied double fold bias binding, just like I use on my modern quilts (except mine is put on by machine). Look at some tutorials and go for it.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 AM

The advice you've received so far is exactly what I would have said - you do need bias binding,but you can do it as French fold if you want. I have done French fold (normal double-layer quilt binding) on curves when I wanted the extra durability of a double layer, and it worked out fine.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you have marked your sewing line on the quilt. It's much easier to mark where the edge of the binding should go - you won't be able to see the stitching line once you place the binding on top, so the edge line is easier to follow.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
The advice you've received so far is exactly what I would have said - you do need bias binding,but you can do it as French fold if you want. I have done French fold (normal double-layer quilt binding) on curves when I wanted the extra durability of a double layer, and it worked out fine.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you have marked your sewing line on the quilt. It's much easier to mark where the edge of the binding should go - you won't be able to see the stitching line once you place the binding on top, so the edge line is easier to follow.

Good luck!
I totally agree with you on this, would love to see quilt after the binding is on