Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A special quilt for my parents >

A special quilt for my parents

A special quilt for my parents

Old 07-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Im loving this whole thread and your stories! what a great gift!
Old 07-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

All those pretty blocks will make a beautiful quilt.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:17 PM

What a nice variety
Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Your parents are going to love this quilt. They will also know how much you love them by the amount of work you are going through to do this for them.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 PM

Thanks again, everyone! And any input is good

My mom is a seamstress, quilter, baby blanket maker, "mom I need x for school" miracle worker, wedding dress maker, sock knitter, etc. She started working at Joann Fabrics about a month before my son was born, she really does live/breathe a crafty life. I always enjoyed crafty things, but not sewing, knitting, or crochet, all of which she wanted us to learn growing up. When I told her last year that I wanted to learn to sew and quilt, she was so happy. People she works with told me that she was really excited that I was finally ready to learn.

My dad discovered cooking late in life. He can appreciate all the work that goes into this, as he's been around my mom for 50+ years. Also because he tried to do needlework once (he wanted to keep his hands busy while watching tv), but he just couldn't do it.

This quilt has been So. Much. Work. Especially for a beginner like me! I've learned to paper piece, applique, and even design my own blocks on this quilt. It will have all my beginner-mistakes as well as a lot of wins.

I'll have to see if some of the ladies in my quilt group will hold up the completed top for me on Monday so that I can get a good angle.

I did decide to add one more small border to the top and bottom so I don't risk losing part of the spool block. If it frays or gets trimmed at all, I'm going to be covering up part of the spools. So, just a little more and the top is done.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:07 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576536[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576538[/ATTACH]

More garden related blocks... We have photos of my mom in her garden with my son (when he was about 2), and they are standing next to one of her 12 foot tall sunflowers.

The boots are for my dad again.

And, of course, more sewing related blocks for my mom.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4Ps daisies and sewing.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	576536   Click image for larger version

Name:	4Ps boots and sewing.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	576537   Click image for larger version

Name:	9P sunflowers 2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	576538  
Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 PM

A few more "dad" blocks...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576540[/ATTACH]

Again with the cooking... The little chef print was my thrift store find, 75 cents for a yard! I saw it and knew I had to get it for the quilt. Growing up, he wasn't in the kitchen much, but he did do the competitions, and on Christmas morning he would make us omelets. That's really the only time I remember him cooking breakfast.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576541[/ATTACH]

One of my dad's sayings is "It isn't a birthday cake unless it's chocolate cake." So, a paper pieced slice of chocolate birthday cake for him.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576542[/ATTACH]

Dad is always watching football. When we were little, on our birthday, we got to choose what was watched on tv. Some years we would get to rent a movie of our choice (in the 80s, that was a special treat). Except Superbowl Sunday (when my sister's birthday or my birthday would fall). We could watch whatever we wanted, except when the game was on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576543[/ATTACH]

Dad is pretty patriotic, so I made a few flag blocks for him.

Name:	4P chef and kitchen.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	576540   Click image for larger version

Name:	birthday cake.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	576541   Click image for larger version

Name:	football.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	576542   Click image for larger version

Name:	9P flags - Edited.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	576543  
Old 07-14-2017, 08:24 PM

Last one for now, need to get back to work!

This is one of my favorite blocks. Every summer we would go to state fair. We'd spend a few days there as my older siblings were usually in 4H competitions (cooking for all three, dog showing for my sister). Then of course my dad was in his bbq competition. We'd spend a lot of time in the barns (dad loved looking at the cows and big draft horses). We'd watch the drafting horse shows/competitions. And we'd look at the rides we didn't get to go on (too expensive with five kids).

After a long week (we'd rent an RV), we would get to go to Enchanted Forest. We'd spend all days going through the little houses, mines, etc. I would spend hours and hours on the slides (they'd usually just set up lunch at the shoe slide while I went down over and over). There are photos of every one of us exiting the Alice in Wonderland maze through the keyhole. Then we'd go watch the plays put on at the top of the hill (I always thought they were "old people", but realized when I took my son that they were usually high school kids.)

They couldn't wait to go with the grandkids (niece is going for the first time this summer, hopefully).

So, the enchanted forest block. I had to figure out how to make each block, but luckily I had an old souvenir mug I could use to get basic shapes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576544[/ATTACH]

Humpty Dumpty is pretty early in the park.

The keyhole exit from the Alice in Wonderland maze (I tried to get the colors as close as I could)

The "Old Lady in the Shoe" slide. You pick up a blanket on your way inside, and then use that to go down the slide fast. It used to have a drop at the end, with the floor covered in straw (which I ended up getting in my back more than once). When I went back with my son, they had extended the slide to go to the ground, so no more drop and no more straw.

The witch's scary dungeon (you would walk in through a door in her hair, and exit down a slide that came out her mouth). Inside would be a prince chained up in a cell, a witch boiling someone in a cauldron, etc.

Name:	Enchanted Forest - Edited.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	576544  

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 07-14-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:05 PM

This will be a very special quilt! The love that is going into it is very evident!!!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:42 PM

Such an awesome labor of love! Love to see the finished product!