Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A special quilt for my parents >

A special quilt for my parents

A special quilt for my parents

Old 07-13-2017, 06:27 PM

Default A special quilt for my parents

This thread will eventually be picture heavy! I have the top completed, but I'll post photos of different blocks first, and why they are "special". Probably won't get it all posted tonight, I'll add photos as I can get them resized, etc.

I just started quilting last summer. I have a job with a lot of down time and wanted a "portable hobby". I also have a quilt top my great grandfather made that I want to hand quilt. I've done some smaller quilts, both hand quilted and machine quilted, but this is my first really big project (it's a queen size).

I won't have enough time to hand quilt the entire thing, so I'm going to machine quilt the majority, and then go through and hand quilt some smaller details (I'll had photos of those when it's done).

I wanted to make quilts for my parents. My Sister-In-Law (SIL) is a quilter, and one of my sisters has just started to dabble a little (she mostly crochets). So, I invited them to make some blocks if they wanted. My sister made two, and SIL made some. We had a weekend together last fall, where we got started, and then I picked up any blocks that were finished last month. The rest of the blocks were on me, since it was my idea, and I was a busy little quilter!!

SIL, being a quilter, wanted to know a) "color scheme/style of fabric", b) "size of blocks", c) "general theme". Uh... "I want to use any fabric that reminds me of them, doesn't matter what color", "my block patterns come in different sizes, and I don't know how to resize them", "whatever you think of when you think of my parents". I think I drover her a little nuts at first, lol.

And, so it went. We did decide to do just one quilt and mix it up. Some blocks that we wanted to include didn't get made, but I got the ones I thought were "key".

"Sheriff set"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576437[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576438[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576439[/ATTACH]

My dad was a cop before I was ever born. When I was five, he was elected as sheriff, and held that position for the next 12 years. During that time, he brought back the Sheriff's Posse, and they are still going today. (They do parades, but also take part in search and rescue, many on horseback.) It was a large part of his career, and he was often seen in uniform, including the badge, hat, and boots. I'm debating embroidering "Sheriff" onto the star. Need to learn to embroider first though!

The boot was the first block that was completed. My SIL created a pattern off a photo, and my sister pieced it.

I found a design of a star online, for paper crafting. I reduced the number of sections (to avoid having 10 seams meet in the middle), and, added my 1/4" seams, and paper pieced it. This was one of the last blocks I did, as all those seams meeting in the middle was intimidating!

I drew the cowboy hat up in Excel.

We used the same fabrics in each to help tie them together, but they are separated on the quilt top.
Attached Thumbnails cowboy-boot.jpg   sheriff-star.jpg   cowboy-hat.jpg  
Old 07-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

​Cute blocks!
Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576440[/ATTACH]

I still need to complete the eyes and nostrils, but again, I need to learn to embroider

My mom grew up on a cattle farm and would drive cattle from a pasture in one town, to a pasture in another. By the time she was old enough to be involved they were mostly doing the drives in cars, but my uncle and some others would still be on horseback. My grampa wanted a family and to raise "pretty cows". He did. So, when I see cows, I think of my grampa, my mother's old home, and mom. She sews, so the cow is made out of sewing themed fabric. (As an aside, my grandpa also pieced blocks for quilts. He would then give them to his sister and mom to quilt. I wish I had one of his!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576441[/ATTACH]

My mom is a cat person, and my dad is more of a dog person, so the quilt is full of different dog and cat blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576442[/ATTACH]

My mom loves playing in the mud (aka, gardening), and insects (at least the ones that don't eat her flowers and stuff from the garden). She hasn't worn muck boots since being on the farm, but the fun wellies still remind me of her.
Attached Thumbnails cow.jpg   4p-9p-cats.jpg   4p-boots-bugs.jpg  
Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 PM

Ok, one last set of pics for now, I'll add more later (there are over 70 blocks in the quilt, so lots to come!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576446[/ATTACH]

My dad used to compete in bbq competitions at county and state fair. Not an actual chef, but he had the hat, and when my sister and I saw this panel, we knew it was for him! (to save time, not every block was pieced. So much to include, so little time!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576444[/ATTACH]

Technically a Scotty Dog block, but in this case, it's a Mini Schnauzer. My dad loves this breed. We had one when I was little, and he finally got another after I moved out (the dog and my son shared a birthday. That's how he always remembered my son's birthday, because of the dog!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576445[/ATTACH]

Mixing bowls. My dad mostly stayed out of the kitchen when we were growing up, but after we all moved out, he asked my mom why she wasn't baking anymore. She explained that she rarely baked, it was always "the kids" who kept the house full of fresh baked cookies, cakes, etc. So, my dad learned how to bake. And cook more. Now he does 90% of the cooking, since he is retired and enjoys it, and my mom gets to come home from work to dinner and dessert.

There is not enough contrast with the bottom bowl and the background (still learning!), so I intend to add some quilting detail there to make it stand out. Maybe I should hand applique some cookie dough in there before I finish...!
Attached Thumbnails mini-schnauzer.jpg   dishes.jpg   sleepy-chef-edited-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 07-13-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Cute blocks!
Thank you
Old 07-13-2017, 07:22 PM

Your blocks and the stories behind them are wonderful. I was thinking a label would have to be pretty big to explain all of that, but somehow you need to do it. It could be the center of the backing and made on a long center swath. I am looking forward to seeing the next installment of blocks.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Memory quilts are the best and it is the personal details that tell the story. Absolutely love it and it will hopefully be an heirloom that is passed from generation to generation. Dates and places are nice, but it the people and what they did and loved that makes a true family history. Thanks for keeping yours alive for future generations.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:33 PM

I love, love, LOVE these blocks and your stories. So meaningful and delightful. Will this be an anniversary gift to them, or when do you plan to give it to them?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 PM

Thanks, everyone! I'll write up a small label to attach to the quilt with pretty basic info, but when I give it to my parent's, I'll probably let them try to guess what each block could stand for, and who it represents (mom, dad, or both). This gives them more time to look at it and stuff while I'm there (and maybe my sister, SIL lives too far away). They had their 50th anniversary last year, but we hadn't really planned anything. We're pretty low-key, my sister made them a cake and we had dinner with those of us nearby.

The plan is to give it to them for Christmas. We'll see who all can make it to dinner, and then possibly break tradition and have them open it after that. If I can't get it done in time, they'll receive it "in progress" and I'll take it back to finish it (as long as it's not stuck on the frame or something). Hopefully it is finished well before then though! I don't want to wait any longer (already missed one Christmas), as my dad hasn't been in the greatest health. Too many scares over the last couple years.

I'm not sure if my son will have children, but if not, it will probably go to my niece. Hopefully not for many, many years to come though!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 PM

You could use freezer paper ironed to a piece of fabric, type your story up, and run it thru the printer. Let is set over night and then put a piece of paper on top of the printed piece (before you take the freezer paper off) and heat set it with the iron. Let it cool before handling it. That way your story can be put onto the back of the quilt. Otherwise, I would make an envelope type patch and put the story in it. Good luck!