Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A special quilt for my parents >

A special quilt for my parents

A special quilt for my parents

Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 PM

It took some doing, but I think I finally got my hat layout where I can post it...!

I haven't perfected getting the sizes of half square triangles, etc, perfect, so I made them slightly oversized and then cut them down.

Where it says "small triangles for edge of hat brim"... I used some of my scrap and, after the main part of the cowboy hat was finished, I sewed the piece of scrap on at an angle to match that of the upper angle of the brim. Then I pressed it flat and trimmed it.

Each square is 1", and in my cut sized, I accounted for a 1/4" seam allowance. Double check before cutting though, just in case I missed the allowance somewhere. I wasn't able to shade all the background fabric, but it should be pretty obvious what is hat and what is background.

Hope you can make sense of it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576892[/ATTACH]

If paper piecing is preferred, it would be pretty easy to set it up for paper piecing as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hat.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	576892  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Those are great! I'm sure your parents will love it.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 PM

Some "filler fabrics". I knew I'd have holes, so I set aside some printed fabric I would be able to use to fill them. Even the filler fabric was meant to have some kind of meaning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576945[/ATTACH]

One of the things we did whenever there was enough snow, was build a big snowman in the front yard. Mom would supply a carrot and buttons, and we'd find an old scarf and snow cap.

Dad's favorite season is fall, so I have fall leaves on the top and bottom border.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576946[/ATTACH]

We would make Jack o' Lanterns every Halloween, so I included some of those as a filler fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576947[/ATTACH]

My SIL made two small diamonds with flower fabric, to toss in where they would fit.
The green flowers along the side are for one on my mom's favorite colors (green...), but is also long enough that I can add a "grandkid" fabric over it if there is any need for an extra spot in the future.

The dragonflies are part of the border. They are my favorite insect, and my mom always points them out when they fly by.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576948[/ATTACH]

Seed packets. My mom grows hundreds of plants every season, all from seed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576949[/ATTACH]

Rabbits. Not a usual animal to think of with my parents, but my mom used to drive a van when I was little that had a case (motor? drive? engine?) between the front seats. When I asked her what was in it, she told me those were the "rabbits in the engine". Seems like a lot of things were powered by critters growing up...!

Completely unrelated, but a child insight I shared with my parents recently, when my car hit 200k miles. My mom was driving the old Impala, and she kept saying that the car was going to roll over soon. In fact, it would roll over in just "x" miles. I was so scared that she sounded just fine with this, even a little exited. I was so scared to be in the car, but when it "rolled over", nothing happened! My dad laughed when I told him this, knowing I was the "logical/literal" child. I was five when he was in the race for sheriff, and my brother still tells the story of me asking if he was going to run or drive a car. I'm glad no one told me he was running, because he wasn't built for running!

Name:	snowmen and leaves.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	576945   Click image for larger version

Name:	pumpkins and leaves.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	576946   Click image for larger version

Name:	dimond flowers dragonflies.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	576947   Click image for larger version

Name:	seed packets.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	576948   Click image for larger version

Name:	rabbits.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	576949  

Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 PM

I can hardly wait to see the finished quilt. So far it is amazing.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576960[/ATTACH]

Frogs for my mom. Every frog was named "Fred". Butterflies, they've had hundreds of thousands visit their garden over the years.

Another leaf made by SIL.

The windmill is something my mom has always wanted. Someday, if I can get a woodshop set up, I'll build one for her (yard art sized). Until then, she just has little mini ones. One of the decorations she set up in the foyer at church had the little windmill, a wooden clog, and was full of containers of tulips.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576961[/ATTACH]

More filler and border fabric. The windmill (and clog) to match her cuckoo clock and windmill blocks.

We always had raccoons around the house, they were attracted by her huge cherry tree. We had a cat once who would play with them in the tree. The raccoons would chase her for a minute, and then they would swap and the (tiny) cat would chase them. That was Bridgette, mentioned in an earlier post. People were surprised they would play, I guess we just had very friendly, and gentle, raccoons.

Name:	windmill leaf butterflies frog.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	576960   Click image for larger version

Name:	windmill scrap raccoons and dragonflies.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	576961  
Old 07-21-2017, 08:09 PM

A 4 patch and some disappearing 4 patches--

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576962[/ATTACH]

My mom loves driving a tractor. Had I had more time, I would have pieced one, but the 4 patch has to do. Lots of stories of her and her sisters driving the old tractor, having to cross the "scary bridge" (two wood planks set over a large irrigation ditch), occasionally getting it stuck, my cousin filling the key ignition with dirt until they couldn't use it anymore.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576963[/ATTACH]

Bees and birds with bird houses. While mom reacts horribly to wasp and yellow jacket stings, she loves bees and having them visit her flowers. When we see one struggling, we'll give it a little sugar water to pep it up again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576964[/ATTACH]

Not a pretty block, lol, but, it's in there. Mostly for the name tag that says "Max". That was the dog that shared a birthday with my son and was probably my dad's favorite dog of all that they've had over the years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576965[/ATTACH]

Dragonflies. The flower perfectly placed in the center was a happy accident.

Name:	4P tractors - Edited.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	576962   Click image for larger version

Name:	D4P bees and bird houses.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	576963   Click image for larger version

Name:	D4P dogs and tags - Edited.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	576964   Click image for larger version

Name:	D4P dragonfly - Edited.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	576965  
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM

They sure say "sheriff" to me and look great - looking forward to seeing the rest.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 PM

More blocks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577191[/ATTACH]

Another leaf my SIL paper pieced. They turned out really pretty. Along with one of the diamonds she made for filling holes.

The flower baskets remind me off all those flower arrangements Mom's made over the years.

She also has a few old Singer sewing machines. She has one that is supposed to go into a cabinet, and has told us that that machine is to go to SIL, as SIL has the cabinet and no machine. My mom is a very generous person, especially if you can use something she has. But you might have to wait until she is done with it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577192[/ATTACH]

Another leaf by SIL, along with a frog. I'll have to remember to ask her for the frog pattern!
My mom loves frogs, and they all go by "Fred". We used to use the pool at a friend's house (it was a big pool, much larger than our little one at home). The water was routed straight from the creek so it was super cold. Frogs would sometimes hide under the deck, and if they got splashed, they'd come swimming in the pool with us.

More than once she raised frogs from tadpoles in a little water fountain at home.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577193[/ATTACH]

Filler and border fabric... My parents both love old farming equipment. A nearby town has a "Threshing Bee", and we'd go to that every year. Actually, remembering this made me remember something else, and I'll have to go back and "adjust" a block by putting a hole in the bucket... As sheriff, dad was very much in the public eye, but even before that, he and my mom would do little acts in stage shows. The "famous" one was "There's a Hole in the Bucket". They had a special bucket they used, with a big hole. Along with a stick, a stone, a rock... and some big overalls and straw hats. I don't know how I forgot about this when putting the quilt together!

As for the jars... My parents can a lot, and in the past few years I've helped them. I usually have to head to the store or something on my way home, and would end up going with cherry juice, tomato juice, or some other stuff splattered on my shirt. So, I made a canning apron I put some of the scrap from the apron on the border. (I wish I could find more of this fabric! JoAnne's isn't carrying it this year, and I only have a small scrap left.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577194[/ATTACH]

More sewing machines on the border. I knew I had this fabric, and wanted to make a block with it, but I lost it! I finally found it right when I was cutting fabric to make the border, so I was able to get it in the quilt.

Name:	sewing machine leaf diamond.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	577191   Click image for larger version

Name:	frog and leaf.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	577192   Click image for larger version

Name:	canning jars and farm equipment.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	577193   Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing machines.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	577194  
Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Getting close to the end!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577196[/ATTACH]

More frog fabric for mom.

A policeman for dad. He became a policeman in the 70s, before I was born, and then sheriff when I was 5. There were some scary memories from that, but some funny ones too.

One Christmas Eve, they got called because there was an accident. Santa had been hit by a car. One of the firemen (not sure if he was chief at the time, or if that came later), would dress up as Santa every year and visit houses. The usual "payment" was a bottle of whiskey left on the porch. My parents never paid him with whiskey (non-drinkers), but he would still come to our house every year. Anyway, somehow this lady had ran a stop sign and ran straight into his pickup. When my dad arrived on the scene, her child (around 5 or 6), was sitting on the sidewalk just bawling that "Mommy hit Santa Clause!" The fireman was a good sport about it all though, reassured the kid he would come visit that night and leave gifts in the stocking, and was able to drive away. Poor kid, and mom, were a bit shaken though!

My dad also would dress as Santa later and visit families. He visited one of my mom's close friends one year. She opened the door, and there was Santa. He asked if he could see the kids, knew the names of the boys, etc. So, she let him in, having no clue it was my dad! They got a photo of the kids with Santa, and he left, with her still not knowing who it was. Turns out, it was a mystery for her for over 20 years! Somehow the mysterious Santa visit came up in conversation, and my parents told her it was my dad. Now in his 70s, he looks very Santa-ish and kids will see him in the store and get excited that they found Santa, even in summer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577197[/ATTACH]

This is a butterfly I pieced. It bled a little bit already, but I'm hoping some color catchers will fix the worst of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577198[/ATTACH]

A pine tree. Even though dad is allergic, we had to have a "real Christmas tree" every year. They both enjoy trees and peaceful times in the forest.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577199[/ATTACH]

Halloween. This is one of my mom's favorite holidays. She would usually stay home and pass out candy, while dad took us around the neighborhood to trick-or-treat. No matter what kind of costume we wanted, she could whip it up. Some years we'd spring something on her last minute, but she really is amazing at the crafty stuff. Clowns, Generals, Ghosts, Scarecrows... you name it, she'd make it. My son is the only grandchild in town, and he has benefited from her costume skills as well. Not just for Halloween, but when he would need a costume for a play. Need tights to be King Midas? Gramma will make them. Need to look like an old man, go get some clothes from Gramma's house...

I remember one time when I was young, she was babysitting a girl a year younger than me. Using paper plates, she drew up some skeletons and we cut them out and put them together with brads, allowing all the joints to move.

Name:	frog policeman cocoa santa and border.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	577196   Click image for larger version

Name:	butterfly.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	577197   Click image for larger version

Name:	pine tree - Edited.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	577198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Halloween.jpg
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	577199  
Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 AM

One more dad filler fabric...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577202[/ATTACH]

I don't remember how the incident started, if it was an accident in front of the house, or a domestic dispute, or what, as I was too young to know. However, my older siblings watched from the porch, and dad had a mug "commemorating" the event that I do remember.

Something happened in front of our house, and dad, being a cop, went out to get things under control. During the event, a man attacked him, jumping on my dad's back and yelling for someone to "call the police!" My dad replied back "I am the police, you turkey!" I had always wondered what that coffee mug with a turkey was about, as it seemed pretty random. My dad retold this story during a long drive earlier this summer. Mystery solved, and fabric added to the quilt!

Name:	20287163_1610314902332623_2252659865978218084_o.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	577202