Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Making popcorn >

Making popcorn

Making popcorn

Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 PM

I had an air popper when the kids were little. I just got a plastic microwave bowl with a cover (the glass is too heavy for me) and we love the popcorn. When I was a kid I would make popcorn with oil in a pan, but this is easier. I melt the butter separately and use a little sea salt.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 AM

White cheddar seasoning sprinkled on it. Yummy and don't need salt.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
I love popcorn. I made some n the microwave every afternoon after my kids left the classroom for the day to snack on while I prepared for the next day. DS both me a Whirley Pop (brand) popcorn popper for Christmas 3 years ago, you use it on top of the stove, and turn a hand crank attached to a stirrer inside the pot. I love it, but still buy the big bags that are pre popped at HEB when we are there. I can eat popcorn every day, but just want butter and salt on it, no other way for me. I don't even have to have a coke, glass of water is just fine.
I have 2 of the stirring poppers, bought the first one when kids were small then another at a thrift store. They make great caramel corn and kettle corn, I use one for regular corn to make pink elephant for kids and the new one is for the sugar coated versions. Great to make the caramel corn in the fall and put in large zip bag with some candy corn, they sold at church auction for $5.00 a bag.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I use the electric stir crazy popper. My grands love to watch the popcorn pop and fill up the bowl lid. I use expeller pressed coconut oil and then drizzle on real butter. Add salt and enjoy. Did you know if you buy Mushroom popcorn it is the large size kernels that is sold at fairs and such. The big kernels make great kettle corn and popcorn balls. Look on Amazon for different types of popcorn not sold in grocery stores. Each one has different size and taste of kernels from tiny to huge popped kernels.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM

I have one of those Whirly Pop stovetop popcorn poppers.

I like to pop it in coconut oil and pour melted butter on and add salt.

I hardly ever make it, but it's really good that way.

It's also pretty tasty made in a cast iron pan.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Thank you for the Mushroom Popcorn tip! I ordered some and it's amazing how big the kernels are. Just like the popcorn you get in the expensive tins. I ordered the hull less (who knew?) No more Orville Reddenbocker for me. I never knew there were such differences in popcorn.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Making popcorn is such a ritual for us at our house. We use an air popper now. Here's the process:
-Get popcorn out of pantry
-Dogs frantically move into position under the counter where the popper is
-Melt the butter or Earth Balance in pan on stove
-Fill the popper with corn and turn it on
-Turn on Netflix while corn is heating up
-Race to get the butter and salt ready before the corn starts popping
-Corn starts popping everywhere and dogs are beyond themselves with joy, racing for the popped kernels that fall on to the floor.
-While corn is popping, pour the butter in a thin stream as you continuously turn the bowl
-Sprinkle with salt at the same time that you pour the butter in...tricky
-Dogs quickly move to the couch where they vie for the perfect position near the coffee table
-Movie starts
-All popcorn is fairly and judiciously handed out to all creatures in room...even the hubby.
-Put movie on PAUSE and repeat the process...One bowl is never enough.

~ C
Old 07-22-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
I still make popcorn the old-fashioned way... in a pot with a little oil, and once the kernels start popping, I jostle the pot over the element to help avoid burning, and when the popping subsides, I dump the popped-corn into a large Tupperware bowl, add butter (real) and salt, and enjoy! And yes, gotta have my Coke with it!
This is how I make my popcorn also.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes when I am cooking something on the stove, and push the pan on the heat a little, Jim says "you look like you're making popcorn". I used to make it that way too.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 AM

you can buy at amazon. I pop mine dry and then put salt and butter on