Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff QE 4.2 or Performance 5.0?? >

Pfaff QE 4.2 or Performance 5.0??

Pfaff QE 4.2 or Performance 5.0??

Old 07-19-2014, 05:54 AM

I know our local pfaff dealer is charging $2499 for the pfaff qe 4.2.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:52 PM

I ended up getting the Performance 5.0 for $2699 with a $200 store credit that I was able to use on a new insert for my Koala cabiney plus some other things. So far I love it!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 PM

I am having the same decision. The You Tube videos by Village Sewing have convinced me I want the Performance 5.0. It really seems clearer to use with the touch screen. The maxi stitches and usb upgradability are also bringing me in. I am in Canada and right now the price difference is only $350. So I say to hell with the budget. I don't want to be regretting my decision. I think I will go with the 5.0.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM

I am having the same decision. The You Tube videos by Village Sewing have convinced me that I want the Performance 5.0. It really seems clearer to use with the touch screen. I was studying the 4.2 video to learn how to use it and found myself getting confused. Then I watched the 5.0 and found it so much clearer. Kind of like texting from an old flip phone compared to texting from the latest IPhone. The maxi stitches and usb upgradability are also bringing me in. I am in Canada and right now the price difference is only $350 with the 5.0 at $2450 and there is a no tax offer as well. I don't want to be regretting my decision. I think I will go with the 5.0.

Last edited by ellellbee; 08-22-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:10 AM

I have the 4.0 and there's very little difference between it and the 4.2 - on/off button and another FMQ setting, plus a few more stitches. In answer to the question about the straight stitch plate, the 4.2 doesn't automatically recognise the plate, but there is a simple setting in 'Tools' you can set, called 'Stitch Width Safety'. Even if you switch the machine off and switch on again, the reminder will come on, saving those pesky broken needles, lol.

I recently 'test drove' a Performance 5 at a quilt show and was very impressed. As well as the features previously mentioned, I really liked the 'Stitch Creator', where you make up your own stitches, or alter the ones provided e.g. if you want some petals off one of the flower stitches, you just 'erase' them! These can also be saved to the memory. There's also a monogram stitch and the screen is much easier to use - no endless pressing buttons and the stitch categories are arranged better.

Why haven't I bought this wonderful machine? I'm still dithering over the Bernina 750QE which I haven't properly tried. The Bernina sales person at the quilt show was rude, so I walked away. If that was his attitude before he got my money............
Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM

Default Koala insert?

Originally Posted by Leslie333 View Post
I ended up getting the Performance 5.0 for $2699 with a $200 store credit that I was able to use on a new insert for my Koala cabiney plus some other things. So far I love it!
I'm wondering how your insert works with the sloped bed of this machine. I'm looking at this Pfaff and considering purchasing yet, but I just can't visualize how a Koala insert will work for this machine. Can you help? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 AM

I took my Ambition 1.0 in for annual maintenance and cleaning in February and ended up looking at other machines (Performance 5 and the QE 4.2). I went home and searched for reviews and watched the videos posted on Youtube of both machines. The next weekend the store ran a special for us Seahawk fans with an additional 12% off of the sale price so went back and ended up buying the Performance 5. Am extremely happy with my purchase, watching the videos I think was the final deciding factor in which one I purchased. I traded in my Ambition 1.0 and kept my Select 3 for a backup as the presser feet are interchangeable between the two machines.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:52 PM

My Pfaff Performance 2056 (yes a very old machine) is in for repairs and service. My hubby picked up brochures on both the Performance and the Expressions for me while I was busy....just in case my baby can't be fixed. What I'd like to know is how big the Throat is on these machines. Does anyone know?

Knitette: I had a bad experience with a Bernina dealer at a show a number of years ago. Have also used a Bernina when taking a class (we had no choice but to use their machines). I'd take a Pfaff any day over a Bernina.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:55 PM

I was told that my Performance 2056 may need a new motor, if not a new circuit board...which Pfaff doesn't have anymore. But "the guy" at the shop said he had someone who may be able to repair the board. At this point I'm thinking a new machine. I hate that since the merger, Pfaff doesn't take care of their older machines. But I love Pfaff and this will probably be the last I'll need. I haven't test driven the QE 4.2 or the Performance 5 yet. Trouble is the closest dealer to me is 40 miles up a very hectic Highway and getting there right now isn't easy. (Hubby is having surgery tomorrow-which means it'll be awhile before I can leave him to make the trip.) Can anyone give me measurements on these machines? Width, Depth, Height and Throat plate width? While I'm daydreaming about a new machine, I can figure out if I'll need a new carrying case too. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:59 PM

My Pfaff Performance 5.0 measures 18" wide, 8 1/2" deep, 11 1/2" high and the throat area is 9 7/8" wide. It comes with a rigid plastic carrying cover.